1991 Alpinestars Cro Mega LX

pencilman77

Retro Guru
Well the itch to tinker with yet another bike was too strong, and as much as i loved my Explosif, there is only space for me to own one retro build, so my search started...
Surprisingly it didnt take that long till a fellow retrobiker messaged me with a swap plus cash deal, so after some deliberation, the Explosif was off to a new home and i am now in the possession of a very clean and original Cro Mega LX.

Now i was going to wait till after the mayhem of xmas before starting the rebuild, but thanks to this months BOTM topic and this sporting a full 400lx exage groupset, i decided to crack on with it!

Thanks to the generally good condition, there wont be too much to do, first up its had a full strip down and the frame has been subjected to some rigorous polishing :shock: and apart from the usual chips, its in really good condition so some suitable pearlescent white and pink touch up paint has been ordered just to keep it looking its best.
The headset needed no more than a thorough clean and regrease, the BB however is dead, bearings and races both pitted beyond help so a new UN55 will be fitted.

In keeping with the theme of originality, I looked at the 1991 brochure and see that Ritchey was the component name of choice, so some Ritchey Z Max Evo tyres will go on along with period Ritchey foam grips. In fact the only nod to modernism will be the Crank Bros double shot pedals as this will be used..

Here are a couple of teaser shots from the shed last night...
A02-C2139-63-FB-4-C72-A653-B75459-B6-C120.jpg

4-A66172-C-FEC2-43-F7-9608-9577-C2647672.jpg

F7-B08-A1-C-EC60-40-B9-9-B55-220-BF0-EA65-F2.jpg

5-EB6-BFF2-2-AC3-4-A64-B213-8804094-BAD92.jpg

Re:

Looking good, I see your rigorous polishing paid off :cool:

I’ve always liked these frames, will watch this with interest.

well I thought id spend a bit more time on the bike today,..
Black wall Ritchey Z Max tyres now fitted, chain on, and bike setup, I decided to go with black wall tyres as I want the frame to be the centre of attention on this.
Other than the tyres, the only concessions to modernism are the crank bros double shot pedals, new UN55 BB to replace the shot original, red fibre brake blocks and some new Ritchey foam grips.
There may well be a few more changes in the future, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy this as it is.
Better pics to follow when the sun decides to make an appearance..might be waiting a while! :facepalm:
nspve-FZMRn6b-Q9-Xil-Hy4ng.jpg

2sxt-Ydu-XRKub-IEindy-BPA.jpg

Re: Re:

Drewson":orr4tisc said:
Very nice....looks very clean :)

I take it ur pretty tall too!!

Thanks, 6ft3, usually would have gone for the next size down, but this suits me better actually!

Re:

Very nice :cool: I think I agree eith you on the Blackwall tyres, together with the other black parts it all makes the colours of the frame "pop" that bit more.
Cool looking bike :D

Back