Uber Rare One #2 - One Off Titanium

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View

I picked this one up locally last week. It was hanging in my buddy’s shop forever, but I always thought he said it was an “on one” and I never really looked too closely at it. The bike was just filthy ...

I was waiting to pick up a frame he was working on for me and looking around ... I noticed the unique BB lug. Funny I never figured out what it was until that moment. I spend a ton of time in the shop.

Anyway, it was in for repairs many years ago on the drive train and the owner passed away. Sad situation. Anyway I agreed to buy and restore it. Sorta feel it’s right it get a new life and stay in Toronto.

From what I am told this frame was built to run that crazy long post. The measurements are interesting. It’s only 12” c to c on the ST but has 22.5” virtual TT. It’s sorta like a 12” WTB Phoenix with a 15” TT. I have an message in form Mike Ausberger (co-founder of Merlin and One Off Ti) to see if he has any info. He only made about 40 One Off MTBs so maybe he remembers.

Here she is just mocked up with some 2.5 extremes. Wild looking thing. I’ll probably build it up to try and then do something cooler with it when I get a sense of the fit.

Wow, nice. Now thats what you call, a sloping top tube :)

I have never heard of the company, quick googly search brings up nothing. What years were they produced? if the fork is from the same time i would say mid/late '90's ? anymore info on them would be great :cool:

I bet its a great ride on singletrack. Those tyres and stem have totally transformed it.

mark

mkone":29n2ek9i said:
Wow, nice. Now thats what you call, a sloping top tube :)

I have never heard of the company, quick googly search brings up nothing. What years were they produced? if the fork is from the same time i would say mid/late '90's ? anymore info on them would be great :cool:

I bet its a great ride on singletrack. Those tyres and stem have totally transformed it.

mark

Top tube is crazy on it. Hopefully I can get some details on it from the builder. Ausberger started One Off after he left Merlin and it seems he switched to a hand cycle company in 1997-98. So one offs were made from about 1989-1997.

http://mombatbicycles.com/One-Off.htm

I was told this was ordered in 1994/5, and the xtr is from very early 1996 according to the stamping.

Back