1993 GT Corrado > Richter 8.0 - Tioga build

Re: 1993 GT Richter 8.0

Here are a lot more photos and the specs:

5FgjFPIw4ZJGBxp2HlLYQp-_pMNvEC-izz54M5WbwsHtyFlcXfa2-RaObL8kkl7RtsenB0_t=w1067-h800-no

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

Frame: 18" 1993 GT Richter 8.0 Tange Prestige Concept + True Temper GTX Groove Tube top tube

Fork: 1996 Dawes (rigid option for the Dawes Edge)

Headset: Tioga Alchemy
Stem: Tioga
Handlebar: Tioga Prestige
Grips: Tioga Bio-grip
Barends: Tioga

Brakes: Shimano XT M734
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Eagle Claw 2
Brake Cables: Fibrax
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano XT M733

Shifters: Shimano XT M732
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M733
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SP41
Cassette: Shimano IG70
Chain: Shimano IG70
Cranks: Shimano XT M730
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Tioga
Chainring bolts: Tioga
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Ti
Pedals: Tioga Surefoot VII

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT M730
Front Rim: Panaracer XC Shield
Rear Rim: Mavic 519
Front Hub: Tioga
Rear Hub: GT-Hadley
Spokes: 14G straight pull
Tyres: Tioga Red Phoenix 559x1.90
Tubes: Hutchinson Sport

Saddle: Tioga Spyder
Seatpost: Tioga
Seatpost Binder: GT

Bottle Holder: Grove Innovations Water Snake

Weight: 11.2 kg / 24.8 lb

Re: 1993 GT Richter 8.0

26er":1a2uyw8o said:
Looks very nice. What front forks is that?

Thanks :) They are Dawes forks that were an option on the 753 Edge XT in 1996. I really like them, they were a great find.

One positive is that I slowly seem to be getting better at setting up bikes. This rode really smoothly and the only adjustment I could think of from the test ride is slightly toeing in the front pads a little more.

I only did a 3.75 miles quick loop to check the setup, but my initial impression of the ride is very positive! It's an 18", whereas my Karakoram Elites and Zaskar are 20", but even allowing for that it feels much better. It feels springy and responsive, more forgiving than the rather harsh Zaskar and more lively than the Karakoram Elites. I'm looking forward to riding it more to get a better feel for it and I plan to take it on holiday to Herefordshire this summer :)

Thank you :LOL:

I have reason to believe this was originally mis-identified and the frame is actually a Corrado frame ........

...... which would then mean the frame I had identified as a Corrado is actually a Richter 8.0 :facepalm:

More details to follow, but if anyone has any GT serial numbers they can share with me, that would help:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=392411

Thank you.

My plan now will be to get my other frame powdercoated the same colour, look for a 27.0 seat post and move all the other components over. I will then see how it rides in comparison and decide which frame to keep.

Frame numbers:
I am fairly sure that you can tell the model of each steel GT by its frame number, certainly at least up until 1994, though a lot more data would help me. (Please help, GT fans: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=392411)

One of my frames is A038 and one is A064 (both built 9210). I have a verified Corrado serial number that is A064 and a Richter 8.0 that recently sold on the forum (bought by CTK, thank you for the information!) is A038. I would still like more data to prove this with the model codes, but so far I am confident.

Pictures

Below is a comparison of my two frames:

RB_FjZMf0wCtF9peKyYaqO-3nEyO1YPcnzYWgvtxO2rxmBbTAe0XXLeM3dP4aeEWamo0q2xw1uegbOBP75mXu_AUG_rRnLGlPtX1j06WtVgh8w5KWOZVuv_UBqgDYe0uDGcXIyjg4Q=w960-h358-no

Ignoring the Tange Prestige Concept sticker, which I added myself ( :facepalm: ?) the left hand side one looks more like the other Richter 8.0 frame that has come up and also more like similar era Tange Prestige Concept frames I have seen, though there is variation in shape, so that doesn't rule it out. The on on the left is the one I had for sale as a Corrado, but has the A038 serial, whereas the one on the right is the one I previously thought was a Richter 8.0, but has the A064 serial so I imagine that is how the True Temper double butted tubing looks.

Weight

This is probably the worst to use for identification, as I have read that even the "same" frame can vary about 200g (I can't remember who was saying that, an interview with someone from one of the Canadian companies I think, possibly Rocky Mountain).

The weights I have recorded are:
A038 - 2010g, with replaceable hanger and bolts
This has red paint, but I am not sure it is the original Richter 8.0 paint, as it is very thin
A064 - 2360g with bolts but without hanger
- 2270 newly powdercoated without bolts or hanger
This came to me with orangy-faded red paint, which I assumed was the faded original colour. I'm not sure why it is lighter after powdercoating, as the paint didn't seem thick, but it is possible I weighed it the first time before I removed the seat post remnants with caustic soda.

I would expect the Richter 8.0 frame to be lighter and CTK's new frame is lighter than my A064, though possibly not as light as the A038 - it's hard to be certain.

Seat post

I don't have confirmation of the Richter 8.0 size, but almost every Tange Prestige Concept frame I have come across has been 27.0. I don't think I have a 27.0 seat post - I have one that is unmarked, but I believed to be 26.8 and that seems a touch loose in the A038 frame, though maybe that is the right size. My A064 has a 26.6 post in it, which seems just right to me. It had previously been over-clamped on a much smaller post, so it is hard to tell, but I tested it with many posts and I am sure that I couldn't fit anything bigger, even after the clamp had been eased back out.

Components

My A064 frame came with a lot of components that were original on the Richter 8.0. One of the reasons I thought it was a Richter 8.0 was that it had black LX cantis, whereas in the catalogue it says the Corrado has DX cantis. I am pretty sure this is a misprint though, as the Corrado definitely seems to have come with LX too.

My A038 frame again came with the XT derailleurs that both models had. However, the seller gave me what I am confident were the original wheels. Both models had black LX m560 hubs, but these wheels had Mavic m231 rims and Panaracer Smoke/Dart tyres. These were both standard on the Richter 8.0, whereas the Corrado should have been fitted with Araya TM-18s and Ritchey Z-Max tyres. I just put this down to the fact it would not be that unlikely that some Corrados had come with those instead, but it as always been there in my mind as an inconsistency.

Overall

I'm confident my bike built up as a Richter 8.0 is a Corrado frame and the frame I was selling is a Richter 8.0 frame. If I can collect more serials, I will be even closer to certainty.

kingoffootball":2wo1eeie said:
I don't think I have a 27.0 seat post - I have one that is unmarked, but I believed to be 26.8 and that seems a touch loose in the A038 frame, though maybe that is the right size.

I remembered I have a seat post for sale with several different shims and having tested, the 27.0mm seems like a nice snug fit in the A038 frame.

Back