1988 Peugeot Dakar XT Pro

xxnick1975":3fln02b4 said:
Great transformation, that was a piece of junk in someone’s garage 6 years ago, and now it’s reborn

Thank you again for the frame. As I was looking carefully at the finish of the powdercoating it reminded me how much I like the clean finish of the joints produced by the 'inexternal' welding.

kingoffootball":3q8q8mpv said:
I'm looking at decals on Ebay now and trying to decide whether white or silver would look better.

Or even black to match the levers:

5o-5EPD-Rlnh2E1uIShLAshy3SbM_PQeSI-uJvvaNs_VGer8Ta-Qx37uo4sx524seQ65TatWdBEIxC20iw6C2A2QjKc6PKK-OvVi6GiS0yeFr_uwDRX2lR0uFRWvcFCHKPA8yeAqrg=w1194-h895-no

The colour - I really like the finish, with the metallic under a matt top coat BUT I hadn't foreseen how much this would affect the original hue (it's most obvious if you look inside the head tube where you can see the red without the metallic and lacquer. To get the colour I envisaged, I would have had to have chosen a much deeper red.

This is fine, as part of the fun was experimenting with a different style of finish and it's definitely one I'll ask for again, with better knowledge of what colour to use underneath (I could also have picked a gold flake to bring out a different tone).

The only real problem is that I don't like how the yellow wheels look with it and I think they would have been better with a darker red:

HKQGM8sN8TeczxYjhINiHo44mBY-7juHskigNV56xTBJa-3krGT09OUDfP_0rpFs1uBSD3iCl2qppVBgjsMyG0D-lr1AVe_jrsWOqWid8xOkAUwMokGiFIwAx55AyW_VMlI9COuBnQ=w1194-h895-no

Still, there's nothing I can do about that now.

I'm now stuck on deciding on cranks for it. I was originally going to use the brushed brass colour MC250 and non-Shimano non-drive, but the finish has worn so they look even more tatty now, so I'm wondering whether I should use some others. I have some Exage Mountain cranks, but they are too shiny, given all the rest of the silver has more satin finishes.

Alternatively I have some M730s, but given I need to sell everything I don't use it seems stupid to use something that should be more sellable. If I end up breaking the S-works and the Zaskar, that would give alternatives of well used black M650s or silver M900s, but that would mean I couldn't finish building until I find out what's happening with those two.

I also tested the mudguards and I think they will fit alright. The rear doesn't interfere with the u-brake, but will require some creativity around the seat stay bridge (a long bolt, I think) due to the size of the frame.

Back