The Funny Onion

Retro Spud":24x38nf2 said:
Al

I hate to say this, but of all your fantastic builds this one is some how an also ran and leaves me a tad flat

Aye if it was all about pleasing people, I'd be riding a Standardized Stumpthumper....

al. :D

I like it, reminds me of a cafe racer, just needs a different post, oh, and an engine :cool:

mkone":v3qhgf4r said:
I like it, reminds me of a cafe racer, just needs a different post, oh, and an engine :cool:

That was the idea, to build a vintage looking bike from retro bike parts. Not exactly The Flying Merkel more 'The Funny Onion' hence the art deco looking cranks, bars, brakes, tyres etc... not to mention the mudguards, which have been modified so they look symmetrical and the rear one ends vertically above the rear hub. I don't just lob this sh*t together you know!

I have a seatpost ready for the photos, but needed it to be a rider for next months BoTM, and the post is a perfect match to the stem. It's taken a year to get things right and the correct bits, in my eyes anyhoo.

al. :D

I like it. Especially the mudguards, very neat.

Can't get my head around the stem & post at the mo, but not sure it would be the same with "normal" looking items either.

Like this, but despite your remonstration against Mark's comparison to café racers, that rear mudguard - if indeed it was positioned that way intentionally - is really displeasing to the eye. Needs to end atthe same point of the arc as the front. And the seat post needs dropping an inch and a half. It's too racy up that high.

Otherwise, good job. Perfect(ly Al).

Re:

that rear mudguard - if indeed it was positioned that way intentionally - is really displeasing to the eye. Needs to end atthe same point of the arc as the front.

Hmm, I kind of see what you mean, the rear mudguard ends at 12 o'clock, whereas the front of the front mudguard ends at 3 minutes past 12, or 3 minutes to 12 if you turn the bike around. :p

Here's an entirely unrelated picture of some chimps.

main-qimg-c1664352b1d5111431dac16ee973217d

regan_ev":2tf7kcd6 said:
Like this, but despite your remonstration against Mark's comparison to café racers, that rear mudguard - if indeed it was positioned that way intentionally - is really displeasing to the eye. Needs to end atthe same point of the arc as the front. And the seat post needs dropping an inch and a half. It's too racy up that high.

Otherwise, good job. Perfect(ly Al).

I disagree with you...

It's exactly how I wanted it.

The rear guard is spot on and was cut down to that length as I think it looks right.

al.

Back