1990 Mammoth RC201

Re:

I took the paint off the Nitto stem I got with my rescue Fisher, and to my surprise, it was chrome under the paint.

It's beautiful, but throws a wrench into my colour scheme, which was black stem, bar, fork, and seatpost.

I haven't decided on paint vs. polish for the frame, so maybe this stem will work with a polished frame? I'll have to fit the frame with more paint stripper and see how it looks.

Attachments

• 20140407_220719-001.jpg
    20140407_220719-001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,258
Cool build, stay at it.

I'd be inclined to have a white frame/fork with black decals & throw the colour into the components (bar, stem, saddle, toe clip straps)

Hey, That's my new bike :D
I'll be following your build to aid on mine

RockiMtn":wbw1edn1 said:
someone here just posted a link to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301078617927

$_57.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Hey 80, mine is apart, If ok, I will post a pic of the bb with measurements later for you.
Taking my frame to be powdered today :D. Looking forward on any progress you may have made.

Re:

Will be picking mine up today from being powdered.
The bottom bracket measures 125 with some odd spacers on it.
Will get you some pics up later today to hopefully get yours back and running.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours with fresh paint.

About the BB, I found this today;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bottom-Bracket-T ... 86c&_uhb=1

If I'm reading that right, that guy can get/make one in whatever size I need. I'll have to get my hands on a caliper, but once I do, this would be half the price of a Phil Wood, and be Ti instead of steel.

I also went through his other auctions, and found a bunch of headset topcaps and fork crowns with Ultimate Machine Co. on them. They look brand new, so I don't know if this guy is sitting on all the old inventory, or he's restarted Ultimate, or what.

I was feeling pretty good today, so I decided to mock it up.

The fork is from an old Fisher, the stem from an old Nishiki, and that poor Flite is pretty messed up. It's also green.

Still no BB though.

I'm tempted to leave it unfinished like this, but I'm also considering dark red.

Attachments

• 20140627_172122.jpg
    20140627_172122.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,129
Friday night I decided I would ride this bike this weekend.

Unfortunately, that was the beer talking.

Using my budget headset installer, I was able to fairly easily press one bearing in. Amazingly, one of the washers it came with just fit inside the BB without getting stuck. It also just fit on the spindle I was using, so as I pressed the bearing on, much swearing resulted as I tried to get it off...

After visiting three different stores, I finally found reasonably priced c-clip pliers, and I was able to finish one side. However, what the beer had failed to point out to me, was that the BB shell on my Fisher was wider than the one on this bike, so the spindle I was using from the Fisher would not fit.

That's as far as it was going to go due to the collar on the spindle.

Giving up on that, I tried to install two different Campagnolo headsets, only to find they were way too tall, and would not fit. I had to go with a worn out XT due to it's much lower stack height.

I installed the brakes, and the cassette on the wheel, and thanks to a trick learned from a mechanic I used to work with, I was able to run cables through the internal cable routing system. Which is completely crazy I must say. The rear brake cable enters from the right side of the frame, and exits in the middle. The front derailleur enters from the left, and exits above the rear brake, also in the middle. The rear derailleur enters the top tube from the left, exits on the right, then goes right to left on the seat stay.

This could have taken me all day, but luckily only took a few minutes.

So, back to looking for a BB spindle...

Attachments

• P1040426.jpg
    P1040426.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 803
  • P1040432.jpg
    P1040432.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 803
  • P1040428.jpg
    P1040428.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 803
Re:

80- She's coming along nicely, I had some pics of the bottom bracket from mine on my computer that just went on the fritz. Hopefully the geek squad can save it and I can send you pics of basically what you need. From memory mine was 125mm, had 4 washers on one side and 1 on the other.

Cheers

Back