Just another Raleigh John Tomac Signature

CCMDoc

BoTM Winner
The actual bike that John Tomac raced much of 1992 (although in early ‘92 on a blue re-decal’d Merlin Ti/Eason E9 bike) and all of ‘93.

This might be the first time it’s seen dirt since then.

Like all of his bikes it has a quick handling, stiff front end and more compliant rear. The latter is perhaps due to the combination of Ti and TDD.

No matter what one thinks of the ride - and I find the ride and quick handling to suit me perfectly (admittedly at 1/2 JT speed) - this bike is an amazing piece of history tucked away for decades but now out for a breath of fresh air.

42600040510_81f61fe78a.jpg

43501257325_84fb7f860d.jpg

42600356960_d7ded250d2.jpg

44359503862_bbc79dd47e.jpg

Re:

Absolute stunner Paul :cool: :cool:

Just like his Disc drives I'd love to know how many frames Tomac went through in a year or maybe their a lot stronger than they look.

And what's the story on the frame anyway, where was it stashed and in how in the hell did you find/beg/steal it from???

Just seems wrong seeing a Raleigh badge on such a cool bike

Okay “wrong” my be too strong - perhaps “strange” would be better, all the Raleighs I ever saw growing up we’re 500cwt paper round bikes

Sadly Raleigh SPD past me by

Retro Spud":24jtx6mw said:
Just seems wrong seeing a Raleigh badge on such a cool bike

Okay “wrong” my be too strong - perhaps “strange” would be better, all the Raleighs I ever saw growing up we’re 500cwt paper round bikes

Sadly Raleigh SPD past me by

How very mean lol

You liked my Titanium Elite at the malverns (or at least you fibbed and said you did haha)

Bike looks cool as anything, are they carbon down and top tubes on it, something looks amiss where the down tube meets the head tube, or is that just me lol!

Re: Re:

player":2j8w49aa said:
Just like his Disc drives I'd love to know how many frames Tomac went through in a year or maybe their a lot stronger than they look.

And what's the story on the frame anyway, where was it stashed and in how in the hell did you find/beg/steal it from???

Seems as if Raleigh had the bonding tech/process nailed down as none broke.

Or perhaps it was the shock absorbing/self destructing disc coupled with the underinflated flat-prone tires that absorbed otherwise frame-shattering forces :shock:

A close look at race photos shows the same Merlin Ti frames formerly with green/yellow decals in ‘91 rebadged with white outline blue decals over the green at the beginning of ‘92 and set up for downhill for nearly all of ‘92. This particular frame was the only Litespeed Ti frame he used in ‘92 and for many races in ‘93. It is unique and has some details that distinguish it from all other LS Ti/Easton E9 JTS frames including those he used in latter ‘93 and beyond.

This frame along with nearly all of the components found its way to one other person before me. His life responsibilities, as is the case for many of us, got in the way of putting together the one or two small, disposable pieces (everything else was ther as it was in ‘93) needed to get it on dirt again.

How it got to me?
I was asked if I’d like to have it.
Luckily I had my EpiPen and defibrillator so when I was able to speak I said “Yeah, maybe. It’s old and dirty but I’ll take it off your hands.”

Re: Re:

CCMDoc":369qch8l said:
“Yeah, maybe. It’s old and dirty but I’ll take it off your hands.”

Whilst trying to hold on to your bodily functions! :shock: :LOL:

Back