1988 Giant Super Sierra Child hauler

was8v

Senior Retro Guru
Having a baby was a perfect excuse to build a specific bike for a specific purpose.

My main road bike is too nice and the riding position difficult. My main full sus MTB wouldn't fit a seat. My Orbit is setup for long days out and kept at the in-laws.

So yeah, I needed another bike. A vintage MTB is perfect for a baby seat carrier- upright postion, comfortable.

I spotted this Giant Super Sierra in the classified by Brocklander. Now back in...er.. 1990/1 when I started mountain biking an older local kid had one of these. I remember it being plated and lacquered and looking tatty, then he stripped the lacquer and it just looked out of this world - like bare metal.

Perfect.

Here is the starting point - thanks brocklander!

file.php

This was a top of the line bike in 1988, full XT m730:

c67vohml.jpg

I stripped the lacquer with nitromors, this brought it up reasonably well but it needs polishing.

The plastic SKF BB took some fight, blowtorch and lump hammer together would not shift it. Had to drill a series of holes in the plastic to get it out.

Built it up 9speed 11-40T using a 11-34 sram cassette and a modified 40T hope expander.

Use an aliexpress "goatlink" on the 9spd LX mech and a 9spd Sunrace thumby. Finished the drivetrain with a 34T narrow wide chainring on M730 cranks.

Lightweight year 2000 Bontrager superstock wheels with Specialized FastTrack (LK) tyres mean the wheels spin up fast.

Rides fantastic - like I remember 80's MTBs - like a big BMX really. The simple gearing really suits it.

Just looking out for a black XT front brake now, and maybe a black 9speed rear mech that will look right if there is one.

SYv5DDol.jpg

akV5RDAl.jpg

1StMDGDl.jpg

n7o5E8ql.jpg

TWV1lTPl.jpg

86XSuJSl.jpg

hOnqqUTl.jpg

wiuX9SRl.jpg

9mrwfM5l.jpg

dMbyRx6l.jpg

MdAlqd9l.jpg

Re:

Nice, but te picture is from a 1987 model, the frame is a little bit different. The original groupset is a mix of SunTour index XC5000 shifters-brakelevers and XC7000 derailleurs, SunTour hubs, Shimano Deore canti & U-brake en Shimano crankset

https://flic.kr/p/gczJEH

Click below on 1987 ......

Really cool, I love homebrew build's like this.

I've just educated myself on those trick components you used to get the gearing (goatlink, cassette expander) which is going to help on future builds for me.

Thanks guys!

Been using it quite a bit to get to the local shop and take my boy on the bike.

Joe_Rides":3c4f65ys said:
Really cool, I love homebrew build's like this.

I've just educated myself on those trick components you used to get the gearing (goatlink, cassette expander) which is going to help on future builds for me.

Gearing works great for the usage - highest gear isn't all that high though.

I used a Hope 40T expander, these are designed fo 11-36 10spd cassettes, I just reduced the height of the machined in spacer section to mate it to the 34t of the 9spd. I dropped one of the cogs our of the lower end of the cassette. Loads around used as people move to 11spd (I paid £10).

The goatlink allows the mech to shift up to it - £2 on aliexpress!

The narrow wide chainring means it doesn't;'t drop the chain, again bought from aliexpress. 110 bcd same as road cranks.

Back