Kona Hot 1993?

Re:

Thanks I love the color too. I will post up more pictures on Kona thread. Also, now convinced to purchase a proper P2 fork for the bike. Are there specific spec's I should be looking for? period correct of course.

mkone":13qohzy1 said:
Hi, welcome to the site. Great frame you have there :cool:

Its hard to tell from your pictures but a way to tell the year is the rear dropouts. If they have triangle holes in them then its a '93, if they dont then its a '94 or later.

If its a '93 then you should be looking for a 390mm P2 fork, if a '94 then they changed to the 410mm. And you need to look for the triple butted version ideally :)

mark
Excuse my ignorance, where is the 20 mm difference between a 1993 & 1994 P2 fork?

Presumably the Hot went with a front shock in 1994, and so a rigid fork would be 'suspension corrected' to compensate and maintain the proper geometry. I can't confirm that happened in 1994, but it sounds right...

mkone":1gtmboc6 said:
Hi, welcome to the site. Great frame you have there :cool:

Its hard to tell from your pictures but a way to tell the year is the rear dropouts. If they have triangle holes in them then its a '93, if they dont then its a '94 or later.

If its a '93 then you should be looking for a 390mm P2 fork, if a '94 then they changed to the 410mm. And you need to look for the triple butted version ideally :)

mark

Confirmed it is a 1993 frame. That said is there a big difference between a 390mm fork & 410mm? Would a 410 mm fork work?

Attachments

• Rear dropout.jpg
    Rear dropout.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 252
The fork lengths are the axle to crown measurements. The extra 20mm would be in the fork legs, like above, to compensate for suspension forks.

Using the longer fork would work but also as above would change the geometery of the frame. Not by much and unless you switched from one to the other you probably wouldnt notice that much :)

mark

Back