'94, erm '92..., well '93 Rocky Mountain Cirrus rebuild

Excellent thread, thanks for documenting the build so thoroughly. Great infos about many details.
Regarding the saddle: Although I think it´s quite fitting in the patina´d state, I used these products on old car seats successfully and intend to use them on an old Flite I have:

http://volico.de/webshop/products/lederfarben/

It´s quite expensive for just one saddle as you need primer, color spray and clear top coat (~60€), but the only product I know I can trust to last.

Curious if others have found the same cable clearance issue on the FD of Cirruses (Cirri?). Fat Chance have the pulley slightly offset and bigger, this seems to keep the cable away from the FD. Looking at the pics on the Cirrus the pulley is in the middle of the seat tube?

glad to see that you somewhat sorted the f.mech issue. you could try and add a washer/spacer between the frame and the pulley to lift it out more to see if you can get the cable up off rubbing the f.mech.

fiendish feet:20nowfyu said:
Really enjoyed reading your build thread .
nice bike you have there, not many about in 21" frame size
thanks for sharing
Thanks for reading @fiendish feet. Nice RM collection you've got here, BTW :)
I normally ride L bikes. But well... I was looking for a Cirrus for so long that I nevertheless picked it up. It's OK in the end.

Last edited:
Dr Dremel:2bmf2yla said:
Excellent thread, thanks for documenting the build so thoroughly. Great infos about many details.
Thanks again for reading @Dr Dremel.

Regarding the saddle: Although I think it´s quite fitting in the patina´d state, I used these products on old car seats successfully and intend to use them on an old Flite I have:

http://volico.de/webshop/products/lederfarben/

It´s quite expensive for just one saddle as you need primer, color spray and clear top coat (~60€), but the only product I know I can trust to last.
Thanks for the info. A new saddle would probably be cheaper in the end ;-)

Curious if others have found the same cable clearance issue on the FD of Cirruses (Cirri?). Fat Chance have the pulley slightly offset and bigger, this seems to keep the cable away from the FD. Looking at the pics on the Cirrus the pulley is in the middle of the seat tube?
I'm curious too. At a time, I thought that the pulley wasn't original. It's not that easy to find detailed pictures of this area. One of the few is @Blizz' Expérience [1] and the pulley looks like mine. On some bikes, like Yeti FRO [2], the cable is crossed, but this doesn't work properly here.

Last edited:
RockiMtn:3jaywddk said:
glad to see that you somewhat sorted the f.mech issue. you could try and add a washer/spacer between the frame and the pulley to lift it out more to see if you can get the cable up off rubbing the f.mech.
Already tried. Unfortunately, the pulley axle isn't long enough to sufficiently lift the pulley backward.

Last edited:
foxb13":9ibg05ry said:
RockiMtn":9ibg05ry said:
Already tried. Unfortunately, the pulley axle isn't long enough to sufficiently lift the pulley backward.
just replace with a longer bolt. should be a standard size.

Back