98 clockwork - rebuild take 2

Re: Period Incorrect - another C16R

You'll probably need to switch back to a narrower BB with those cranks. ;)

Forks seem like a good move - I know SIDs aren't renowned as being the stiffest fork in the world, but gotta be better than Indys. Should be nice and light too...

Seems good to me

Re:

LongboardSi":vpylfbvg said:
You'll probably need to switch back to a narrower BB with those cranks. ;)

Forks seem like a good move - I know SIDs aren't renowned as being the stiffest fork in the world, but gotta be better than Indys. Should be nice and light too...

Seems good to me

Thanks. Yeah I think on paper I need a 110mm bb for the LX chainset. Not sure I've got one...will have to have a search. I think the 118 will be too wide, anyway...

SIDs are lightish but probably not as light as the Indy SLs... but they seem much better built and the Indys badly need a service.

Re:

Well... after a bit of a battle with an FSA optimax BB (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=391317) I managed to get the LX cranks fitted today and took it for a ride in the park. I spent more time spannering than riding but hey ho. Still a nice day off.

The cranks feel nice and stiff and the change has saved 130g. I'm convinced it's a noticable weight saving...

As usual though it's two steps forward and one step back as now the older XT front mech looks a bit wrong with the smaller chainrings. Works surprisingly well... but I'm thinking now I might actually go all-LX on the drivetrain as I've already got a decent-ish M567 rear mech in the parts box which is the right period really. I could use the XT stuff elsewhere... Just need a top pull, 31.8 M567 front mech.

Also added some plastic tat to keep mud out of my face and stop the chain destroying the paint job.

In other news I chanced upon the original owner's (Stick Legs) for sale thread from 2011. I checked via PM. Turns out he owned it from new. Originally slime green, it's also been black, and is on its third paint job. Really interesting to find out some history. Below is a pic of how it looked before he sold it. Nice!

file.php

65531C45-C481-4A0D-8316-0D63E18AADFA.jpeg

I've also just bought a pair of Pace R36s Evos on here so I think I'll probably flip those Sids. Only downside is the steerer is on the short side so I'm now on the hunt for a short stack stem. Might have to replace the headset too... Or get a replacement steerer.

Another thing that has crossed my mind is the brakes, being parallel push, is that an issue with the rear mounted brake bosses on the pace forks? I have a vague memory that there's a problem with that... but I can't remember off the top of my head what it is.

It never ends. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSCF9678.jpg
    DSCF9678.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCF9677.jpg
    DSCF9677.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:

The Pace forks should have a removable steerer something be possible to get a spare from Fork English Justbackdated, or another seller.
I do like the original look from Stick legs, not that I don't like yours mind. I'd be keen to go full m737/9 XT. Surprisingly easy and cheap to find though I have spent a small fortune paying out for my stash for my P7 and Prestige and spares of course. If I don't put some spares on my other p7 that this has inspired I may have excess front mech.

reanimation":2s454jn0 said:
The Pace forks should have a removable steerer something be possible to get a spare from Fork English Justbackdated, or another sellerh.

I just bought a 1" steerer from Tim (justbackdated) - it was about £28. Pace also have some steerers for sale in their eBay shop.

Re:

reanimation":txhmy57x said:
The Pace forks should have a removable steerer something be possible to get a spare from Fork English Justbackdated, or another seller.
I do like the original look from Stick legs, not that I don't like yours mind. I'd be keen to go full m737/9 XT. Surprisingly easy and cheap to find though I have spent a small fortune paying out for my stash for my P7 and Prestige and spares of course. If I don't put some spares on my other p7 that this has inspired I may have excess front mech.

Nice. Yeah, I hear you re m737/9. I've got a set of V-brakes waiting, and I have been thinking about collecting the other bits, but given that I have some LX already and I hate spending money unnecessarily I think it makes more sense. You can pick up M737 cheap enough, but LX is going to be practically free. And I quite like the black, a bit different.

I also agree that the previous incarnation was very nice (nicer than my attempt as things stand!) It's a work in progress but irrespective of that it's a brilliant bike. In the first place I wanted to get it riding as quickly/cheaply/easily as possible to try it out. Now I love it, I want it perfect. Whatever that is...

slackboy":txhmy57x said:
I just bought a 1" steerer from Tim (justbackdated) - it was about £28. Pace also have some steerers for sale in their eBay shop.

Cool, actually this one's 1 1/8"... I think I might get away with it though. Current steerer is 186mm. We'll see... I'd like a new stem anyway, all the ones in my parts stash have a 40mm stack height... 5mm lower would probably do the trick. Or as I say I could change the headset. Was never sure about the gold anyway (I bought it for another bike).

Had a nice ride on Friday in a muddy Trent Park. Was glad of the crud catcher.

Also feeling very good about my decision to go Pace R36 Evo and contemporary LX. Planning to switch to a black stem and seatpost maybe a bit more along the lines of this:

P1000198.jpg

Actually now I want a nickel P7.

Attachments

• DSCF9681.jpg
    DSCF9681.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 583
Re: C16R that thinks it's still 1993

Good solid build! Looking forward to how it's going to end up. I've just put Pace RC36 Evo on my '98 P7 & Pace Airforce II RC38's on my 2001 P7. They do go well together.

Re:

Had a "mental health" day today and picked up some more dirt in Epping. Great fun. I'm on a strict rule to not fiddle with this until I've finished putting my Clockwork back together - don't want to ever find myself in a situation where all my MTBs are in bits and I can't ride.

While hosing it down I started wondering what this thread in the wishbone is for.
A rear crud guard? That would be bloody sensible... no?
Never seen one... anyone?

Attachments

• FHD0018.jpg
    FHD0018.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 454
  • FHD0025.jpg
    FHD0025.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 454
  • FHD0027.jpg
    FHD0027.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 454

Latest posts