1992 Claud Butler Antaeus 653 Magnum FINISHED

Re: Claud Butler Antaeus 653 - 3 times a lady

PeachyPM":3uhlk9xd said:
drcarlos":3uhlk9xd said:
Set a 3rd place of all time on a section on strava on mine last Monday, they can be fast.
Never seen another one built in all the years I’ve had mine and I’ve had it since new.

Carl

Hello Carl,
Glad you’ve found my thread, I’ve been an admirer of your Anty for a while now. Hope mine measures up!

Now you have the B.B. out I’ll keep watching as this might finally get somewhere. Mine is starting to fade a bit so the option of decal re prints and a fresh coat of paint will be welcome. It will be good to see how yours turns out.
I’ve only ridden mine twice this year, but it made its mark and feels very different to my modern stuff.

Carl

drcarlos":szxrd4iv said:
Now you have the B.B. out I’ll keep watching as this might finally get somewhere. Mine is starting to fade a bit so the option of decal re prints and a fresh coat of paint will be welcome. It will be good to see how yours turns out.
I’ve only ridden mine twice this year, but it made its mark and feels very different to my modern stuff.

Carl

Once Gil at retrodecals has these graphics copied, re prints should be cheaper (without the initial art working cost) also they should be the basis of a number of similar variations for the rest of the CB MTB range from 1990, 91, 92 & 93.

As for fading fluorescent, I’ve been doing some research and all are UV unstable (powdercoat, enamel or modelling acrylic) with enamel being slightly better but by far the most expensive, Bob Jackson’s do all of Orange’s MTB frames and even they are not completely UV stable.
So I’m thinking the easiest/most economical money/time wise way to go, would be powder coating, with the Gil having the graphics on file and powder coating being reasonabley cheep and by far the toughest I can use this bike like it should be used.

For mtb use then powder coating is always going to be best, especially if your going to use it off road. It's a far tougher and durable finish, also far cheaper as well.
Especially as far as steel mtbs are concerned even these days most are powder coated for durability. My Surlys are all powdercoated and the finish is very tough and stands up to a lot. A bit too thick to ever use with a lugged road frame.

Jamie

Off road night time training continues in preparation for the graveyard shift at next years Mountain Mayhem , useing the donor CB Spectre so I can get used to the group set whilst Aunty is away having her stickers done. DD78FEA2-3747-4147-99C7-007030B1EABE.jpeg

Last edited:

The History Man":8nr86mfq said:
I’m waiting for the paint.

Soon as I get the frame back from Gil she’ll be straight to the paint shop.... ➡️

Maybe you might fancy bringing that beast to Scotland and joining us at the Strathpuffer in January.
The Fatty Owls team is made up of a few retrobikers, rotates over the years but always a few, Gil, Jason, DrS, Epicyclo etc. Always good for a laugh, sort of. I'm sure Brian could organise something at this late stage.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":21p8j5il said:
Maybe you might fancy bringing that beast to Scotland and joining us at the Strathpuffer in January.
The Fatty Owls team is made up of a few retrobikers, rotates over the years but always a few, Gil, Jason, DrS, Epicyclo etc. Always good for a laugh, sort of. I'm sure Brian could organise something at this late stage.

Jamie

Maybe 2020 Jamie.
A few base line facts that need some attention;
1. just turned 50 on Monday
2. Have got myself DOWN to 18st from near 20, :facepalm: but still want to get back to my pre-2008 weight of 15st.
2. Up until 2 weeks ago when I was talked into Mayhem, my MTB riding had been predominantly commuting in London or riding on canal tow paths with the kids.
Hence my 3 times a week 30-minute blast up a steep nasty gravel track. (on top of road rides with my son) Its working though, every time I get a bit further up the hill.

Maybe 2020 Jamie.
A few base line facts that need some attention;
1. just turned 50 on Monday

Many congratulations too for your big birthday! Hope the weekend was a good one :)
You know your welcome up here anytime.
You worry too much though, it's just a overnight ride through the lovely Highlands, can get a bit chilly though.
Age is just a number, I'm a year or so older than yourself and Brian, (epicyclo) well lets just say that on certain council estates in Britain he could be our grandfather ;)
Your always ready for a ride :)

Jamie

Back