1992 Kona Hei Hei

Cross ovalized Ti stems are much stiffer ;) I had a 150mm one custom made by the Ti fabricator at McLaren F1 bitd. Total work of art, but since sold. It felt as stiff as steel and i lived in the free weights room back then.

Carumba - you went to McLaren for obtain a Ti Stem!? That deserves to be in a show-case in it's own right. I wonder if they would built a custom Ti fork! Do you have a photo if it?

Love this, beautiful looking frame.

I'm close to having all the bits bought for my Marin team ti so will be giving the frame some attention soon. Was going to use scotchbrite what does the lemon juice do?

Thank you. It's in almost new condition which makes me wonder if it ever had the ti noodle fitted in the first case. Since some of the Hei Hei's were raced without them being fitted, it's possible this one never had one installed. Hard to imagine someone cutting it for a V-brake now.

Lemon juice is just like a citrus cleaner or degreaser. But with some added freshness :D

Definitely the gold headset
..The other possibility would be an original Impact headset but with a weight penalty. Decisions desisions! :cool:

Some more pics of some of the goods instore.

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 993
So after several trialing attempts, and mockups, the frame is back from the metalworkers and I have to say i'm pretty pleased with the results.

Apparently they have also been building bits for the BLOODHOUND SSC land-speed record attempt - after waiting for several of their larger orders to pass, the frame finally got delivered last Saturday. Understand it's been also good for the company to be able to showcase their work on a finer scale. Im pretty to have been able to find the 5mm Ti tubing in the first instance.

The company was called Supreme Engineering, and despite the wait, I'd whole heartedly recommend them.

http://www.supreme-eng.com

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 942
Re:

That is an amazing job done there - well done for persevering with recreating the Brake Noodle.... and well done Supreme Engineering!

Looking forward to seeing the XTR 900 build.

Pip

Moved one final closer today towards completion of parts by sourcing a pair of these beauties. A rare find. A big thanks to Matt! (dnbmatt2:cool:

Attachments

• X2.jpg
    X2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 836
romanrinos":1q59dc9r said:
Cross ovalized Ti stems are much stiffer ;) I had a 150mm one custom made by the Ti fabricator at McLaren F1 bitd. Total work of art, but since sold. It felt as stiff as steel and i lived in the free weights room back then.

Carumba - you went to McLaren for obtain a Ti Stem!? That deserves to be in a show-case in it's own right. I wonder if they would built a custom Ti fork! Do you have a photo if it?

Love this, beautiful looking frame.

I'm close to having all the bits bought for my Marin team ti so will be giving the frame some attention soon. Was going to use scotchbrite what does the lemon juice do?

Thank you. It's in almost new condition which makes me wonder if it ever had the ti noodle fitted in the first case. Since some of the Hei Hei's were raced without them being fitted, it's possible this one never had one installed. Hard to imagine someone cutting it for a V-brake now.

Lemon juice is just like a citrus cleaner or degreaser. But with some added freshness :D

Definitely the gold headset
..The other possibility would be an original Impact headset but with a weight penalty. Decisions desisions! :cool:

Some more pics of some of the goods instore.

Just picked this up. Here’s a few pics of the custom Ti stem. Work of art but my days of 150mm with no rise are long gone :LOL: Chap who built it was called Dave Alcock. Note the cross ovalising of the Ti tubes at the joint for extra rigidity. Wish i could get another made now.

Great dedication getting that custom Ti cable tube remade :cool: Those early Hei Hei’s were comfy all day riders.

Attachments

• F34E5DBE-FD9C-445C-8264-F4F1652CE5C8.jpeg
    F34E5DBE-FD9C-445C-8264-F4F1652CE5C8.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 826
  • 195AB71D-AB28-4FA7-A39A-4DD30CC94F39.jpeg
    195AB71D-AB28-4FA7-A39A-4DD30CC94F39.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 826
Re:

Certainly is a thing of beauty! And you say you sold it on?

Did Dave Alcock do this inhouse at Surrey during development of the McClaren F1? Even for a company that regular works in Ti, to undertake something like is impressive.

Were drawings produced for it?

Re:

Shimano link wires - final piece of the jigsaw. Wirewool and came up like new. . All set.

Attachments

• 7AC06232-E1A5-4307-A6E9-4E41A6252FF0.jpeg
    7AC06232-E1A5-4307-A6E9-4E41A6252FF0.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 767
Taken longer than expected to complete but after 2.5 years it is finally there in winter livery.

More photos to follow.

Credits and massive thanks to :
Ti bars & all good things - Judd Peterson
Ti stem - Adrian Forde
XTR bolts - Matt Clist
Kona comarady - Pipmeister

Attachments

• E1D8B6EF-A5D4-4170-B137-5230BC51C5F6.jpeg
    E1D8B6EF-A5D4-4170-B137-5230BC51C5F6.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 661
:cool: well worth the wait!!

Some nice looking parts on there, even have the water bottle :) really looking forward to lots more pics, great job.

mark

Back