Marin bear valley SE upgrade

Shifter

Retro Newbie
Hi All
First post so please be gentle.
I have had the bike above since 95, it's not been used for a while but it's in great condition so I'd like to upgrade it to more modern tech. The bikes really light even compared to modern day standards so although I know I could just buy a new one to save me the hassle I like the idea of upgrading.
The bike will be used as a fitness tool, mainly on road but would like the ability to go on trails/disused railway lines etc.
My budget is around £200?? for everything but willing to spend a bit more if needed as I want to keep the bike as light as possible.
Looking at disc brake conversions, there are no lugs to fit the calipers so I will fabricate brackets and weld to frame. I know I will need new hubs and the spokes are rusty so will be replaced with SS but which diameter discs and brake calipers. No problem building wheels but buying complete wheels would simplify things, any recommendations for a disc brake wheel set that will be as light as the originals.
I assume hydraulic brakes perform better but are they really needed?
If going for hydraulic are the brake levers different to cable or can they be adapted.
Currently I have the Marin knobbly tyres fitted but would like more road biased tyre with occasional off road use recommendations please.
Also looking at modern gear shifter mechanisms, bar/bar ends/grips and a nice comfy gel saddle so which are good on a budget.
Sorry for so many questions.

Re:

Welcome to retrobike

I’d service what you have and ride it, or sell it and get a modern gravel bike/cx

What you are planning can be done but likely to be severely compromised on a budget of £200. That’s enough for some wheels and tyres but not light ones, no way hydraulic disc brakes and new drive train/gears.

If you want a modern set up and will ride mostly on roads, with a bit of bridleway, have a look at the outing model yr in the cannodale cx range, great bikes and frames so, upgradeable iif you get into it and you will ge5 a deal on one this time of year

Re:

Many thanks for the welcome and reply.
I hear what your saying and yes chopping it in for a more modern bike makes perfect sense and the bike in the link fits the bill perfectly.
The thing is I like to restore and upgrade for the challenge more than anything. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade with an R&D background so tinkering is what I do.

Maybe for now I'll just replace pedals,seat,brake blocks,chain, new grips, bar ends, the spokes are rusty so will replace with SS maybe new grips and bar ends.
Any recommendations welcome

Shimano stx rear derailleur has too much play side to side and the spring seems weak plus the jockey wheels have too much side to side float. I’ve seen jockey wheels are available but are any other parts.

Back