Yet another Kona... 96 Kilauea

Re:

I had a Z-Bam 2 Fork in Red also, Those are Soooo Silky smooth! Looks kinda odd on Teal though. But whatever is to your liking.

You need some paint touch-up for sure, mine doesn't quite POP that blue as bright just a little in the sun.

I was extremely Lucky with mine, Frame and Fork only $60 U.S.
Looked as though the bike was only ride'n a handfull of times :D

Steel wool up those's bad spots, clean with a nice alcohol or something, use a flat black as a primer, and then I used Testor's Model paint(1194TT Gloss Teal Testors Enamel Paint) was almost a dead match :mrgreen:

tesr2193.jpg

After the paint dries I just steel wool'd lightly as knock some of the Gloss off as the paint on these is more like Flat/Matte finish.

I know what you mean about the colour combination..... red and green should never be seen!

Good advice on the paint, thanks i'll look into this. However long term i can see me having the frame re painted, but not for a while. I'll ride it for a while and see how i get on!

You have a build thread for yours?

Re:

No build thread :facepalm:

Basically it was so minty that I just threw a set of my GT Zaskar wheels on it and a Vintage Turbine Race Face crank set-up in 1x9 with a XTR rear drivetrain, XT-M738 V-brakes and down the road I went in about an hour :twisted:

I'd post some pic's but didn't wanna High-Jack your thread. I think there's a "POST your Kona thread" but it's old? Some People get bent when you bump old threads up.

Re: Re:

BentRims":2iv62kkp said:
I think there's a "POST your Kona thread" but it's old? Some People get bent when you bump old threads up.

:LOL: all the show us you bike threads are there to add too whenever you want. There are a couple of Kona threads but this is the most popular; viewtopic.php?t=19592

mark

Re:

I'll have to post in the other thread when I have some decent Pic's.

Here is my color in the Sun, way more Jade Blue-Greenish

Functionally you've made the right choice IMO for the forks. Like others, I'm not sure about the colour although to be fair, other than boring black, I'm not sure any other colours will work with the lovely frame.

Yeah i think it will.look a little strange aesthetically, but I'm spending as little as possible so colour changes will have to wait. The Z2s are my favourite retro fork so there was no question about using them.
I now need to find a suitable threadless headset in keeping (roughly) with the period, and also a control tech stem (just narrowly missed out on one) then the whole thing can come together.

Spent some time yesterday cutting the paint back lightly and giving it a coat of polish. Its got a lovely patina, and actually i think a repaint would spoil it. The paint is lovely where its still in good condition, the decals are damaged but i took off the damaged and peeled laquer around them and i think it looks pretty cool!

I then re installed the BB and headset cups- the Z2 is now bound for another project, so the impact headset and a P2 are going on this....

20180831_162408.jpg

20180831_162431.jpg

20180831_162305.jpg

20180831_162246.jpg

20180831_162224.jpg

20180831_162218.jpg

20180831_162149.jpg

20180831_162139.jpg

20180831_162117.jpg

The last pieces of the puzzle. P2 and the correct O-beam post. I may need to cut a few more threads onto the steerer, and trim a little off the top, but pleased with its condition, cheers RobMac!

20180904_102832.jpg

Back