"Aurora" Mountain Klein

Re:

Thanks guys, had a play around this morning and here's another shot. IMG_6302 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Looks amazing. I did take a few pics of heads and measurement for you. Pm me you mbl number and I will txt rhea over, if they are still helpful

Re:

Bugger, a Tange G Master isn't going to work even if I chuck the locking nut and spacer. I had thought it might fit when I first saw Nick's pictures but it looks like I'll have to have a re-think.

The steerer (174mm) minus the headtube (140mm) is 34mm. I'm not sure if it's an M730 or an M735 that's currently fitted but a G Master will use all available thread before I get to the spacer/locking nut.

Got any suggestions?

Attachments

• Headset table (2).jpg
    Headset table (2).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 869
  • stackheight_mod.jpg
    stackheight_mod.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 869
  • G Master vs XT_2 (2).jpg
    G Master vs XT_2 (2).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 869
  • G Master vs XT_1 (2).jpg
    G Master vs XT_1 (2).jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
Re:

Personally at this point I would use what's already working. You will soon forget about it being shimano and it won't take away from the build.

There is a low tange headset you can get new but I think that would be worse than a period xt one

Re:

I probably should but it would bother me and whilst the bike is in bits I might as well...

What about a Tange Falcon?

Re:

Getting there with the groupset but it's slow progress and no sign of the front hub :(.

It's been bothering my OCD :facepalm: for a while now but the XC9000 line-up came with two options of brake/gear combo levers and using this on an MC-1 (I think) would look better (cleaner/less cluttered). However, finding a CL-XC02-U7 or CL-XC01 is almost as hard as finding a black front hub!

I found a bike in Romania with a full XC9000 groupset which I was planning on using for parts, however I missed out of the eBay bid but I did keep the photos. The shot below is of the 6 speed CL-XC01 and the bracket looks the same as the one used on the XCD6000 levers, so after a bit of waiting I picked up an NOS set and cannibalised them for parts. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6587.JPG
    IMG_6587.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_6585.JPG
    IMG_6585.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_6583.JPG
    IMG_6583.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_6582.JPG
    IMG_6582.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_6580.JPG
    IMG_6580.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 704
  • DSC_0363_zpsgqqwnnig.jpg
    DSC_0363_zpsgqqwnnig.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 704
Re:

This has been hibernating in my loft for the last couple of years and after nearly three years of looking I finally managed to source the “right” chain, which arrived today :D :D . This means I can pretty much build everything bar the front wheel. The rear hub and rim went off to be built last week and should be back soon and I’ve assembled what I can in the meantime; I’ll put up some pictures soon but it’s looking good.

The brake levers wouldn’t fit the MC-1 (thick paint), so I had to remove quite a bit of metal with a file to get them to slip on. Considering they were NOS it wasn’t an easy decision! What I have found is that the non-drive side crank arm is hitting the chainstay. The spindle is 135mm and I don’t think Klein made them any longer but is the spindle adjustable i.e. can I slide it across by 3-5mm? There seems to be plenty of room on the drive side to do this.

Re:

The Klein Technical Manual mentions the ability to reposition the spindle/axle up to (I think) 3mm to accommodate chainline. Good luck with your build.

Back