01.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 662
Re:

firemountain":2cg2ruah said:
Hi

got this fire mountain on ebay £60.00

just needs some work on the paint what would you do if it was yours

Hello there, welcome to the forum :)

Saw this on Ebay myself, It's looking nice! And the paint seems way better than mine was by the looks of things.

If you read my thread all I did was touch up the paint with enamel (easy with the bike being black in the main) and then giving a good go with some Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. Just follow the directions with this and it will give good results. I find this to be less harsh than T-Cut and gives a nice shiny finish.

The components on mine were mostly shot, so the bike was perfect for a little upgrade. Again this one doesn't seem as bad by the images, so a good cleanup of them might do the job. I would suggest new cassette and chain for reliability, and definitely new cables, outers and brake blocks. Note that U brakes will destroy tyres if the blocks are too worn, as the arms will drag closer towards the tyre sidewall.

Hope this all helps. There's plenty of advice available on here so don't be afraid to post any q's on the MTB chat section :D

Re:

firemountain":1i4zcunr said:
what was the stack hight of the head set

Apologies, meant to answer this ages ago...

Can't recall the stack height of the original headset, but the headset I replaced it with was a Stronglight A9, with a couple of washers to take up the stack height.

The lower cup didn't fit well so it needed dremelling down a little, but it worked fine once in place :)

Re: Need help with U Brakes

firemountain":2et90jlk said:
Need help with U Brakes

I removed my U Brakes from my 1988 Kona Fire Mountain I need to know what cables I need and how to set them up

You could always start a thread for your bike, would be good to see it and im sure there are plenty of people who would help with the rebuild :)

mark

Back