1991 GT Karakoram Elite

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Picked up this 1991 GT Karakoram Elite today, from a really nice chap who had bought it from New, but was selling as he'd "upgraded" to a new bike from Halfords. I was in two minds whether to tell him he should just keep the GT! He obviously had fond memories of it as he took one final photo of the bike before it went off to its new home.

Apart from the tyres it's absolutely as it was in 1991 (well, I think the rear brake pads were replaced for Aztecs, so still "period" I guess).

It's full DX group set, with a Deore 2 U-brake, Tioga Avenger stem, GT bars and saddle, and Ritchey Vantage expert rims. Oh and Mt Christophe toeclips & straps (I've not used clips & straps in decades! but a quick ride down the street and it all felt pretty natural tbh, I guess some things you just never forget).

The best thing about the bike though is the "Night Sky" paint, apart from Kleins this is the coolest paintjob I think Ive seen, and whats more is that its in great condition. Apparently the previous owner used it sporadically before it was put at the back of the shed, where he reckoned it's been for the last 15 years or so, so it's not had a hard life.

The Plan is to just restore it, clean, polish, change a few rusty bolts, and that's about it :)

A few pics of it as received....

Attachments

• 20180718_182725-1062x597.jpg
    20180718_182725-1062x597.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 994
  • 20180718_182700-1062x597.jpg
    20180718_182700-1062x597.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 994
  • 20180718_183257-1044x635.jpg
    20180718_183257-1044x635.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 996
Re:

Totally groovy that is Jim, awesome paint job! :cool:

A slightly less bulky saddle like an old Ti Flite would help it I reckon though, and some nice tan walls ;)

Re: Re:

velofrog":389vuh03 said:
A slightly less bulky saddle like an old Ti Flite would help it I reckon though, and some nice tan walls ;)

I agree. I already have some tyres lined up. A Flite or maybe a Vetta would be cool though

Re:

file.php

Wow :cool:

Re: 1991 GT Karakorum Elite

Handsome example!

Had one of these new BITD, same size! Loved it to bits. Rode it to bits too!

Does the paint still change colour between blue and green according to the light?

Ompelukone":1fy92pou said:
Does the paint still change colour between blue and green according to the light?

The base colour is shown as being much darker in the catalogue :? It's a kind of metallic blue/cyan, so yeah it can look "bluer" or "greener" depending on the light.

Love the paint, looks in really good condition too :cool:

mkone":1dpsz8rr said:
Love the paint, looks in really good condition too :cool:

There's a couple of small rust spots down by the BB, but a good polish should make the "Night Sky" sparkle :cool:
Everything else needs a good polish however. Gave one crank arm the Autosol treatment this evening, will polish up ok but it'll take some time!

Re:

You jammy bassa!

I’ve been looking for one of these for years! Mate had one when I was a nipper, it had the gt button seat and a proper painted flip flop and we used to do pentlands epics on it and my shogun

He skipped it without telling me when he was 18....

Latest posts

Back