'my' '96 GT Backwoods build

Re:

Cabled up the other night, defeated by the rear gear cable being too short, guess the under the BB route is longer than the top tube route of the bike the shifters were lifted from. So now I have to pi$$ about finding a spare cable and recabling the shifter.
Other than that, chain next then ready for fettling

Re:

Scratch that, got my hands on some yellow shifters, so pulling the red ones out. Still needs cabling up of course.

Get that done before too long all being well.

Then chain, pop some pedals on and we can get to fettling

Re:

Cables arrived on Friday so yellow Sachs shifters are on, and yellow grips.
now thinking the yellow stem is too much. My old one was silver and I just happen to have acquired a silver art stem so think I'll switch that.

Found some yellow platform pedals too, just like the old days.

So needs gear cables setting up and chain, maybe a stem swap.

Re:

Gear cables in.... get outers all set,.... feed it through... line up the cable in the clamp..... tighten the bolt.... quick tug on the cable to feel the tension and seems fine.....

But then....

Couple of turns on the shifter and it goes twang. Cable goes slack and falls out of the shifter. The barrel seems to have let go of the cable. Pants.

I have been riding and building /fixing bikes for over 25 years and that is the first time that has happened to me.

Anyway, threw the spanner to the floor in disgust and retired for the night. Fix that another day. It's a bit of a job getting a new cable into these twisty grip shifters and couldn't be arsed tonight.

Stupid cable.

Anymore pictures? :)

And i prefer it with black tyres, and maybe a black stem too :)

mark

Re:

Yep, agree on the tyres, got the wtb velociraptors on as nature intended.

Once I get the cable on its finishing touches and photo time :)

Ran into an old riding buddy at the weekend and showed him what I was up to with this. I think we was more excited than I am and it meant we spent best part of an hour nattering about where we used to ride and some of the thrills and spills we got into. Happy days.

Re:

New cable in, bit of a fiddle to set gear cable tensions (think I got some cheap cables and am paying the price now with kinks and sticky bits).

But it works. Quick up and down the road tells me I need to:

True both rims - fair enough, Front was built freehand while watching telly, rear is old.

Fiddle brake pads, see above re rims first.

Tweak front mech angle, its slightly outwards at the front.

Get used to twist shifters again.

And the finishing touches:

crud catcher. The old one was purple, I don't have purple but I do have a fetching yellow one. Nice. On.

DCD. Can't decide whether or not to do this, but I had one then so MIGHT fit that too, think I have one in the box.

Chainstay protection. I THINK I still have the old lizard skins type thing with a DCD cutout. If memory serves its the freebie off MBUK. See above, might go that way. But when I ditched the DCD I used a strip of offcut inner tube and a few cable ties to stop the knocking and clanging. Might go that route instead.

Attachments

• DSC_0618 (1).jpg
    DSC_0618 (1).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC_0619 (1).jpg
    DSC_0619 (1).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC_0620 (1).jpg
    DSC_0620 (1).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 625
Re:

I really like your approach to this project. I've got the '94 version of this in purple lor] and although it was unrideable when I got it it's gradually coming together with as much of the original equipment being used as possible. I'll try and get some pics up when I get a chance. Keep up the good work :cool: :D

Back