My 1995 TET Kona Hot - update for 2018

Re: My 1995 TET Kona Hot - update for 2016

tyres looks to me like from the Continental Grand Prix range - normally for 700c wheels, but maybe they did some for 26" also.

magas":31td6n2y said:
the tyres looks to me like from the Continental Grand Prix range - normally for 700c wheels, but maybe they did some for 26" also.

thanks Martin :cool:

Ernie ;)

welcome mate :D

how could we have missed this thread all over that years ? :LOL:

magas":1zpm9r2m said:

I think that the original thread pre dates all of you guys - it doesn't even show on Google search anymore! Thanks for the comments :)

To answer questions the road tyres are indeed the earlier 26x1 grand prix, I used to commute on these all the time but have more or less worn them all out now. I still have a newer set on my regular work bike but you can't buy the tan wall versions anymore..

I tend not to go for repaints myself anymore but the original paint colour was a rather dull metallic grey, almost the same as a 94 Kilauea in fact. I also had a small ding in the top tube repaired by Argos at the same time as the repaint.

I probably have a picture of the original bike somewhere but am struggling to find any, I've sourced an image of another Hot below with the same finish to give you an idea though.The only difference is mine originally had P2's rather than the Marzocchis. The colour choice was influenced at the time by a PK Ripper BMX that I owned beforehand in the same finish.

The eagle eyed might also spot an additional cable stop for the rear brake that I added instead of using a dog collar, again I probably wouldn't do that these days. It does look neater to me though.

Attachments

• 427.jpg
    427.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,126

if a repaint is done in a professional and tasteful way like you did, everythings fine for me ;)

yeah, unfortunatly Conti dont produce those "brown wall" GP tyres anymore - neither in 26" nor in 700c - I think its a pitty cause they look great on every bike and offer a great ride.

looking forward to updates.

mynchiboy":3a8wixa0 said:
magas":3a8wixa0 said:

I think that the original thread pre dates all of you guys - it doesn't even show on Google search anymore! Thanks for the comments :)

To answer questions the road tyres are indeed the earlier 26x1 grand prix, I used to commute on these all the time but have more or less worn them all out now. I still have a newer set on my regular work bike but you can't buy the tan wall versions anymore..

I tend not to go for repaints myself anymore but the original paint colour was a rather dull metallic grey, almost the same as a 94 Kilauea in fact. I also had a small ding in the top tube repaired by Argos at the same time as the repaint.

I probably have a picture of the original bike somewhere but am struggling to find any, I've sourced an image of another Hot below with the same finish to give you an idea though.The only difference is mine originally had P2's rather than the Marzocchis. The colour choice was influenced at the time by a PK Ripper BMX that I owned beforehand in the same finish.

The eagle eyed might also spot an additional cable stop for the rear brake that I added instead of using a dog collar, again I probably wouldn't do that these days. It does look neater to me though.

Echoing Magas, it was a good call to repaint, especially if you could repair it as well. I quite like the grey colour but for me it doesn't suit a high calibre frame like this. I think Hot's should be bold and brash, just like the name.

Re:

Very delayed late night update! Finally got the final part of the jigsaw...sort of.

More to follow soon :)

Attachments

• oooh.jpg
    oooh.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 736
Re:

So here it is again, still slow burning - in a United Nations sort of way!

Finding the matching Proshift front mech took absolutely ages, a fair bit of £££ and some persuasion with a seller over in France, but got there in the end. I'm pleased I did, as it looks ace!

I also scored a NOS M737 cassette from a seller in Hong Kong of all places at a very good price, so on it went. Only problem was the PMP lockring was too large (for 12 tooth), so I then sourced a 11t version from a bike store over in Berlin.

Still sort of undecided on the tyres, but that can wait. Just need cables and outers (already ordered) so I can at least take it back out again.

What better bike to work on in the heat than a Hot? :D

Attachments

• hot3.jpg
    hot3.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 654
  • hot2.jpg
    hot2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 654
  • hot1.jpg
    hot1.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 654
:cool: yes, liking that.

I would probably put some Magics on there, and red decals too :D really like that blue too :cool:

mark

Back