Yet another Explosif....91 Vintage...final version page3

Re: Yet another Explosif....91 Vintage

Looking lovely, is it going to be your commuter? If so I’d keep the other Kona on knobblies for real riding ;)

The frame colour choice is great and a nice change from the norm.

Minifreak":3ilgb8ta said:
Looking lovely, is it going to be your commuter? If so I’d keep the other Kona on knobblies for real riding ;)

The frame colour choice is great and a nice change from the norm.

It is indeed going to be setup as my commuter....the cindercone has just sold, so knobblies duty will fall to the Orbea...for the moment anyway!

A couple more pics in the sun, still waiting for the black seatpost to arrive, and change the fork decals, but we are nearly there....I love it!
esp3.jpg

exp4.jpg

All finished,
I went for a new Kally Uno Seatpost as the black with silver clamp I think works really well with the overall build. I've had to do some adjustment to the rear hub so the Fat Frank fits and is actually usable! There is about 0.5mm gap round the rear stays!
As this is going to be used for commuting and easy trail use, I have a set of Onza Barends that will get a little makeover before going on, and when the weather gets worse, I have had a set of wooden mudguards specially made to go on it too!
so here are some glamour shots from my ride out in the forest today....
The tyres may be a personal thing, but this bikes rides amazingly smoothly, considering what this was like when I bought it, I think I've definitely breathed new life into it! :cool:
x_NZobh9s_Q7_e7qdh_Vw_RH8g.jpg

k_ZIt2du_TTQucbpjevlq_Auw.jpg

U0j_VUOdy_T_Kdlt_Tycsl_Clg.jpg

Dz_V3_Gfzl_RWme8_RBucj_AKn_A.jpg

5c6_Up3v_PTau8_Ik5acz_I3_LQ.jpg

Re:

Nice work.. how's she ride ?

Can I ask, how You sorted the bottom bracket ?
There is play in the bottom bracket on mine. I haven't stripped it yet but I'm considering solutions.

Re: Re:

enc":38jkca8d said:

There is play in the bottom bracket on mine. I haven't stripped it yet but I'm considering solutions.

She rides amazingly well, you forget how well sorted these old Kona’s are!
As for the bottom bracket, the original was shot, so seeing as it was coming out for the respray anyway, I just replaced it with a brand new UN55 bottom bracket, not period, but then this bike isn’t exactly restored to catalogue spec! :LOL:

Re: Re:

pencilman77":1sl6u78b said:
enc":1sl6u78b said:

She rides amazingly well, you forget how well sorted these old Kona’s are!
As for the bottom bracket, the original was shot, so seeing as it was coming out for the respray anyway, I just replaced it with a brand new UN55 bottom bracket, not period, but then this bike isn’t exactly restored to catalogue spec! :LOL:

Nice one :cool:

Don't suppose you know what size un55 ?

Re:

The finished article looks great. I actually like the tyres.
Mind you any kind of wobble on the wheel and you'll rub through that paintwork.

Re:

B.B. size is 68x122.5

As for wheel wobble, it’s been out for a 30mile ride today and no rubbing at all...luckily I’m pretty good at straightening rims if needed!

Back