Rims: Mavic XM 117 32 hole
Hubs: Hope RS4 32 hole
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss Comp Triple Butted
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.6"
Tubes: Maxxis Super Light

Saddle: Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon Rail
Seatpost: Ritchey WCS

Maiden voyage out at lunchtime and the first time riding the frame in around 8 years. Did a short 13 mile road loop I use and was surprised how well the bike rode compared to the carbon 29er it has replaced with my average speed being the same. Having ridden exclusively of carbon and aluminium frames for a few year it's easy to forget how compliant good a steel frame can be.

I may have to replace the 36t chainring with a larger size as it was low down on the block and easily span out a couple of times on descents. Will look at a 40t or 42t replacement.

Re:

My DOGS is my go to MTB simply because it is so undemanding to ride and yet baulks at nothing.

I have other good MTB's but there is something extremely special about a DOGS.

Retro Spud":1cs7d0e8 said:
I’m assuming you’ll be using v brakes instead of Canti as the two are poles apart in stopping power

No, no they're not...

You've just been doing so very very wrong, you and all those others, all of them wrong,

all of them!

legrandefromage":h351o17y said:
Retro Spud":h351o17y said:
I’m assuming you’ll be using v brakes instead of Canti as the two are poles apart in stopping power

No, no they're not...

You've just been doing so very very wrong, you and all those others, all of them wrong,

all of them!

So to clarify, how many of them are wrong?

All of them!!!!!!!!!!!

I blame the 'low profile' cantilever, terrible. The old wider versions had better leverage and mechanical advantage. But thats what was new back in 1992 and thats what stuck in most people's minds when they made their cable stops redundant for 1996's miracle stopping power of new fangled v-brakes.

Re:

Modern cx type canti's can be superb.

I have some FSA SLK's on my cx/ gravel bike and they work brilliantly.

When there were just canti's i cant remember ever thinking i need stronger brakes, they work fine when set up properly :) i can remember using v brakes for the first time in '96 though, and thinking they were overkill and they locked the wheels up too easy :LOL:

The only reason I mention brakes is that these forks are prone to being bent as the external sleeve is a bit and the legs are a bit thin...

Back