1991 Kona Hei Hei - Finished pics on page 5

Re: Re:

pencilman77":2a4gbcys said:
better than christmas!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Indeed and better wrapped too, very nicely packaged.

I will be moving the Ti WTB bars, Ti ahead stem and Syncros 1 1/8” aheadset on in favour of a wider pair of bars and correct Velocity stem with a NOS Deore XT headset, thankfully the Tange forks came with a threaded steerer also.

Here’s some pics of what was in the box:

Decals are original I believe so show some wear, not bad condition though so I may well keep them with a view to employ Gil later down the line. Frame number B17001.

Re: 1991 Kona Hei Hei

May I suggest, don't even think about replacing the decals. It's rare to see the originals intact and they look far, far superior to any repo's. You've got a good looking, excellent example!

al-onestare":2j7mx4uu said:
May I suggest, don't even think about replacing the decals. It's rare to see the originals intact and they look far, far superior to any repo's. You've got a good looking, excellent example!

Thanks buddy, I’m all for a bit of patina, it’ll be a rider so no need for perfection. It’s 17”, same size as my 95 Cinder Cone but with a slightly shorter TT.

:cool: very nice Tim, and definatlly worth the wait.

Im very jealous now and loving that serial number too :)

mkone":wc0uyjef said:

Thanks mate, I’d be interested to know what the frame number means, it’s a 17” centre B.B. to top of seat tube, guessing that’s what 17 means. Doubt it’s the first Hei Hei frame made in 91 but you never know :LOL:

As far as i know the first letter is something to do with where it was made, the second two are the size, so yes a 17" and the last three are the production number, whether its the production number for the Hei Hei only or all Kona's, im not sure.

Minifreak":bmlyormg said:
mkone":bmlyormg said:

Thanks mate, I’d be interested to know what the frame number means, it’s a 17” centre B.B. to top of seat tube, guessing that’s what 17 means. Doubt it’s the first Hei Hei frame made in 91 but you never know :LOL:

The B prefix was used by Titanium Sports in Kennewick, WA using titanium tubing produced by Sandvik Special Metals. They began production of the Kona Hei Hei in July 1990. Before that the first Hei Hei frames were made by Merlin for Kona and have a different serial number format. The 1990 production would mainly be for the 1991 model like yours, so you do indeed seem to have the first 17" Hei Hei produced by TI Sports from Sandvik tubing.

As Mark says the next two digits are the frame size, and then the last three digits are a sequential serial number. We still don't know if the serial numbers were spread across all sizes, however to date I have not seen two identical serial numbers on two different frame sizes. Kona have documented that 4000 titanium frames in total across all models were produced from 1990 - 2000, so I guess that would suggest that each serial number is unique.

When the three digit serial numbers were approaching 999, the prefix was changed for the Hei Hei from B up until 1997, to KH in 1998.

Pip.

Cheers for the insight Pip, nice to get more clarification on this, even without the frame number she has, it’s a great frame, now I really need to do it justice and keep those original decals. Just hope I do the build justice :)

pipmeister":e7hih4w8 said:
Minifreak":e7hih4w8 said:
mkone":e7hih4w8 said:

The B prefix was used by Titanium Sports in Kennewick, WA using titanium tubing produced by Sandvik Special Metals. They began production of the Kona Hei Hei in July 1990. Before that the first Hei Hei frames were made by Merlin for Kona and have a different serial number format. The 1990 production would mainly be for the 1991 model like yours, so you do indeed seem to have the first 17" Hei Hei produced by TI Sports from Sandvik tubing.

As Mark says the next two digits are the frame size, and then the last three digits are a sequential serial number. We still don't know if the serial numbers were spread across all sizes, however to date I have not seen two identical serial numbers on two different frame sizes. Kona have documented that 4000 titanium frames in total across all models were produced from 1990 - 2000, so I guess that would suggest that each serial number is unique.

When the three digit serial numbers were approaching 999, the prefix was changed for the Hei Hei from B up until 1997, to KH in 1998.

Pip.

pipmeister":wdua54bc said:
Minifreak":wdua54bc said:
mkone":wdua54bc said:

Pip.

Excellent insight as ever. Silly question: were TI Sports, Sandvik? Or were they two separate companies?

Lovely bike Tim.
This is how it needs to look though - covered in mud and being used (mine back in I think 93 at the nps in Newham, Plymouth)

Attachments

• img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 507
Back