Dropped Fat Chance TC

Re:

Great pictures :D

However, I am quite surprised about your remarks on how it feels riding with drop bars. Not so much the drop bars itself, they are quite familiar from my road bikes, but the stems high rise is a mystery to me when thinking in terms of handling.

Great though that you are highly enthusiastic about them and after all it is your choices and your bike.

It sort of solved a mystery to me when studying the old Salsa catalogues. Never could comprehend the use of the high rise stems. Now I got it.

K.

Re: Re:

kid1313":38n4yhoh said:
I took it off road today for the first time. Man almighty how it rides. I must say drop bar opens new perspectives. It's fast. It's nimble and swift. Yet still comfy.
I shoud have try it ten years ago.

The ride of a Team Comp is so special They have a unique tubing mix and the neatest welds ever. Never tried this type of drop set up though, so i may have to find all those parts again :LOL:

M-Power":anou4fxk said:
kid1313":anou4fxk said:
I took it off road today for the first time. Man almighty how it rides. I must say drop bar opens new perspectives. It's fast. It's nimble and swift. Yet still comfy.
I shoud have try it ten years ago.

The ride of a Team Comp is so special They have a unique tubing mix and the neatest welds ever. Never tried this type of drop set up though, so i may have to find all those parts again :LOL:

Humour me here......

What’s the benefit of bolting on extra long length of metal to raise the bars just so you can drop them again (seems plain Nutz)

Apart from the brakes levers being spun/orientated front to back as apposed to left to right, I see no other benefit (if that could be classed as a benefit) add bar ends to a flat bar and you’be got a second position for your hands.

Aside from Jonny T I don’t believe anyone else thought differently for an MTB and by enlarge still don’t..... but then again I don’t know what the modern bike industry is thinking as most of their output leaves me stone cold.

Nice built by the way, and I would try out the bars just to see for myself

Re:

This set up has its fans and they will not be swayed. Imo its more of a gravel grinder set up, not one for hardcore twisty rooty rutty cx riding. Jonny T had bike handling skills most of his contemporaries could only dream of. Id also love to hear a detailed comparative ride/handling review against the traditional flat bar set ups.

As an aside, I would love to find really wide flared bars, say 630-50mm tip to tip. A custom limp dick stem for perfect bar positioning and obviously a shifter set up thats properly ergonomic. Thats a challenge too far though, probably :eek:

Re:

I just enjoy riding it. You have to learn your bike. I still do. It's old. It's mostly Italian. It has character. I am a part of it.

Attachments

• tr9.jpg
    tr9.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 425
  • tr4.jpg
    tr4.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 425
Re:

This setup works fine, although that Reydel seat does not fit my arse I'm afraid.

Attachments

• tr3.jpg
    tr3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 426

kid1313":250iu7wn said:
I just enjoy riding it. You have to learn your bike. I still do. It's old. It's mostly Italian. It has character. I am a part of it.

Aint that the truth. Hard to beat the ride feel of classic steel.

Re:

Thread updated a bit

Build list

Frame: Fat Chance TC
Fork: Fat Chance TC
Stem: Salsa
Headset : King sealed bearing
Cable hanger : Campagnolo Euclid (NOS)
Handlebar: 3TTT (NOS)
Handlebar tape: Silva
Brakes: Campagnolo euclid with mathauser pads
Brake Levers: Campagnolo c-record 1986 (NOS) / I'm still hesitating if they are not too old for this build but I do like them more than 1990 record levers
Cables and Housing : Campagnolo euclid (NOS)
Shifters: Campagnolo Centaur (NOS)
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Euclid (NOS)
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Euclid (NOS)
Cranks: Cooks MK1 with Campagnolo Euclid rings
Crank bolts : SRP titanium
BB Spindle : Cook Bros Racing titanium
Chain : Sachs PC-m90 (NOS)
Pedals: Campagnolo Euclid L (NOS)
Rims: Campagnolo Contax
Hubs: Campagnolo Euclid high flange with SRP titanium axles
Spokes : Wheelsmith
Innertubes : Michelin C4 latex (NOS)
Tyres: Michelin Hi-Lite HOT (NOS)
Saddle: Reydel GTI
Seatpost: Campagnolo Centaur (NOS)
Quick releases : Campagnolo Euclid

As far as I know all of it was available pre 1991.
134mm bb spindle was a repro but 130mm is a genuine titanium CBR
I've used wheelsmith spokes from my old wheelset (I had to cut them and re-thread)
BB bearings are now original NTN with orange dust seals

Latest posts

Back