M-Trax 250 Comp

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Nice little car boot find. Couldn't refuse at a tenner. Seems quite decent - not up on my m-traxes and there's not much info out there on this model...but apparently hand-built in England by Raleigh Special Products, 7 cro-moly tubes and mostly LX bits with Mavic 238 rims. Seems mostly original apart from the knackered tyres.

Rode it across the field - shifters appear to have had it, and the front wheel bearings are loose, otherwise seems OK. It's not a minter, but worthy of riding and I think it's a good size for me. Was thinking about listing it for sale as I have no shortage of bikes but I can't resist a project.

Picture taken after quick wipe over with an oily rag, but it will clean up nicer with some TLC. Would post up a few more pics but having hosting/resizing/uploading issues ATM.

Got a new (used) pair of LX 8-speed shifters already from another retrobiker. The original Alivio ones were missing clicks. Mechs seem ok. Not yet decided what tyres to put on it, can't tell if it's destined for dirt or tarmac. And I need to find my cone spanners! Not been in the workshop in a while...

Attachments

• dscf8708(4).jpg
    dscf8708(4).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 876
Gave this a bit of a once over today and took it for a ride around the woods at the local park.

Fitted a pair of LX shifters and some half decent rubber, plus a bit of a clean, lube and adjust. Front hub needs a proper service really. Anyway, otherwise all is well and it's now riding nicely.

Certainly a decent bike, but not sure it's a keeper, not feeling an instant connection with it... but hopefully will get a chance to ride it again tomorrow and see how I feel...

Attachments

• DSCF8743_2_35.jpg
    DSCF8743_2_35.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 640
  • DSCF8744_35.jpg
    DSCF8744_35.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 640
  • DSCF8746_35.jpg
    DSCF8746_35.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 641
  • DSCF8747_35.jpg
    DSCF8747_35.jpg