1999 Wilderness Trail Bikes Phoenix Titanium

mauricer

Senior Retro Guru
Here is a project i have recently built up. I am just a Phoenix lover. Two years to young (i know) so i leave it to the mods to delete or leave it as is.

It is one of the latest Phoenix Ti frames (at least known from the current serial # database). I bought it from eBay and with the help of a friend it landed over here and now accompanies my two WTB Phoenix steel rides very well. The bike is from the first owner who bought it at a Marin County Bike shop in 2000.

I changed the fork back to 80mm and added the crankset and relevant XTR BB. Also i had Steve Potts built me a new stem and a 640mm/12 degrees Ti Bar for it. The current wheelset is a Chris King/No Tubes and will be changed back to WTB New Paradigm and Classic GG.

But since we had a ride out last weekend i put it together and it was a blast of a ride. Very agile and comfy.

2270981-xppgbq91e3li-5074ac6e_c4d1_49a9_9e04_5018a2dcb26b-large.jpg

We rode as a WTB/Evoc Team.
2273160-h9mfexjq800j-41363636215_81fb6d9ed1_k-large.jpg

Best

Moritz

PS: More modifications to come!

Wow, that looks like a great setup. My Phoenix has the rest of the bikes in my stable feeling a bit nervous, they don't quite measure up in comparison on the trail. Sometimes its an unfair comparison versus bikes with the late 80's geometry, but a Phoenix is a very good point of reference when assessing ride quality.

Re:

Never tried one of these. Love the look of it and impressed by the ride reviews :cool:

Glad you got it together M. My Ti Phoenix is easily in the top 10 of all my bikes and quite possibly top 5. I need to do a bit of work on the Judy but otherwise it's such a solid ride. Enjoy!

Re:

Thanks M. Same here. Really good ride feeling and i do love that fork. Just very happy.

Shamus, i like that bike a lot. Is that a Type II fork?

Yes, Haaland has it, a suspension corrected P2. It is not triple butted, and therefore is rather stiff. But the forgiving frame, paired with titanium bar and stem make for a comfortable ride. It is seriously the bike I have to resist taking out on every ride, if I ever want to try any of the others in my stable. I am so glad I kept an eye out for one, and am grateful to the people that convinced me it was a bike worth owning. I keep hearing great things about Salsas too... ;)

Latest posts

Back