Cannondale Red Shred 1990

markjohnson76

Saracen Fan
I found this 1990 Cannondale Red Shred along with a 90/91 Proflex/Offroad 550 over the weekend. I paid £60 for both of them, couldn't say not at that price!

I thought it looked really original and well specced. I didn't know much about Cannondale, any more info on these out there? The frame might almost be too big for me so sitting on the fence as to wether to keep it. But it''s a lovely original bike under the cobwebs and shed grime. It's totally original apart from the grips and the rack. Anyone need a red rack?! The rims and tyres look hardly used.

The guy I bought it from had had it from new, he purchased it in the Sates when he was working there. Used it lightly for a few years then had a knee op and it languished in his garage since then. I came along at the right time. The American bike shop sticker is on it 'Westport Bicycles". I'm going top clean the grime off of it and see what's what. Love to know what you think or any background.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7824.jpg
    IMG_7824.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_5334.jpg
    IMG_5334.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_5105.jpg
    IMG_5105.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 968
  • IMG_3804.jpg
    IMG_3804.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 968
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_6400.jpg
    IMG_6400.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 970
Hi Gus,

Thanks for your reply mate. I appreciate the link to the catalogue, saves me searching for a while! It does look very original. I think it is 90 but is had deore LX rear mech and chainset but Mountain LX front mech. Maybe late 89?

I haven't got round to the clean up yet as a Chas Roberts just landed in my lap from a Facebook ad so I'm distracted. It looks like such a cool bike, really good looking design. More to follow:)

Re:

Great score on the shred ..they are pretty rare so a lucky find..definitely a 1990

Give me shout when you decide you don’t want it ..I can add it to my other 3, :roll:

Re:

Good to learn they made them in 1990. :) Looking at it the dropouts were obvs later than 88.

Lovely bike. This era of Cdale doesn't get the coverage it deserves imo.

Re:

Cool :cool: that's a real time warp bike, I'm sure it'll look good as new after a clean and polish.

Going to sell it....:( It's cleaned top really well and rides great. Kept the tyres on it but they would need replacing if it's going to be ridden any distance or off road. Going to find out what it's worth it the what's it worth section.

Attachments

• IMG_8320.jpg
    IMG_8320.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 645

Latest posts

Back