Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna

blue or black forks then. Probably start off with teh RST and see if I can find something better down the road.

Still looking for a nice seat post but will start the build soon....just not sit down :eek:

Re:

Also I have an idea to try out for wheels.

on the old build I had XT737 hubs on swami rims, subtle and match the Ti colour nicely. But a bit weighty those hubs and dare I say it, a little low spec.

now then,

on my commuter explosif I have some nice pale blue hope hubs built into mavic citrus rims. I'm thinking that the blue hubs might be a nice spec for this build and would go nicely with the blue decals on this frame.
but I'm not sure about the yellow rims, might be a bit.... naff.

Could rebuild the wheels I suppose, hope hubs onto some tidier rims, but that's a job. Hmmmmm....

mock-up time me thinks

Re:

With the blue hope hubs an yellow mavic rims...

Attachments

• DSC_0543.jpg
    DSC_0543.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 782
  • DSC_0544.jpg
    DSC_0544.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 781
  • DSC_0545.jpg
    DSC_0545.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 780
  • DSC_0546.jpg
    DSC_0546.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 780
  • DSC_0547.jpg
    DSC_0547.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 780
Re:

With the grey swami rims on xt hubs (incidentally not as heavy as I remembered)

Attachments

• DSC_0548.jpg
    DSC_0548.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 777
  • DSC_0549.jpg
    DSC_0549.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC_0550.jpg
    DSC_0550.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 777
  • DSC_0551.jpg
    DSC_0551.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 777
The blue hubs go well but not sure about the citrus rims.

If a choice of the two i would go with the second pair :)

mark

Re:

Spent some time yesterday cleaning up some parts for this. Using kit from the previous build as a starter so there's a few bits to change too.

v brakes, splendid just need a wash as a bit muddy.
Rear mech good to go after a quick clean too, Front mech was bottom pull now top pull by the looks if it so some work to do there.
Shifters OK, brake levers will do for now.
Wheels, think I'm going to stick with the xt/swami, see if anything takes my fancy later down the road but they will do fine.
Seatpost was 27.2 and now I need a 27.0, so on the lookout for something nice but sure I'll have a spare in the shed to get me going.
The rest of the control stuff will follow with the seatpost, I can use the hope stem and syncros bars for starters but would like to get some consistency with other parts. I think Ti or carbon would be nice.
Also found some nice pale blue bolts in the stash so bottle cages and brakes will get a splash of colour.
See how we go for time this week hopefully I'll get some snaps of work in progress.

Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":o2fxt7r2 said:
Front mech was bottom pull now top pull by the looks if it so some work to do there.

Or, put another way, the old frame provided for a bottom pull mech, the new frame provides for top pull.
The mech itself is dual pull, so no problem after all. Silly me.

Ha, short answer – no.

Long answer, I have been busy getting the zaskar and backwoods finished off really. I have had so little time in the shed this year it’s been hard getting anything done and the list of jobs is getting ever longer. I have several forks and shocks to service, hubs that need bearings, wheels that need truing and a parts bin that’s overflowing with cack I don’t need.

Now we are in the period of seemingly eternal darkness my opportunity for riding is even further diminished so I hope to get some time at the workbench and have a good clear out.

I have found a suitable seatpost at last, I should be picking that up tonight. Other than that all the parts are in I think. Carrying most of the XTR 95x kit over from the last frame but with a few tweaks. I have a tidy set of Bomber Z1s (that need a service) which may end up here but more likely the lightweight RSTs will be back. I do intend to get this one rolling next…. unless the Pace F8 frame comes back from Dan sooner than expected, that one’s waiting to be built too.

My target is Mayhem next year, hopefully it will be with me then. Did a round in 2017 on the old HH and the other laps on my B17. Plan for next year is to get laps in on this one, the Pace and I think the Sintesi deserves a crack at it too.

The other problem is I have run out of floor space so need to address storage issues too. My 5x floor rack is full, my wall rack is loaded, theres my Zaskar and the boys DS1 blocking the doorway and I currently have the HHKK and the MV frames dangling from the rafters– once they are built I can’t do that so will need to find space somewhere. And the Pace F8 frame is with Dan being finished off, once that’s back and built I need to find a home for that too.

Time for a bigger shed!

Back