Offroad/Proflex 550 1991?

markjohnson76

Saracen Fan
I picked this Proflex up at the weekend. Is it a 1991? Like many on here I've always had a thing for a proflex even though I've never owned one. This one came up locally for £30 so I went for it. Looks pretty straight and original. Everything is working. Flex sten seems to work well but the rears suspension seems loose, like the bolt holding the bushels on isn't tight enough. I'll get it cleared of all the mudguard stuff and give it a once over.

I know there's quite a bit written on these on this site but any fans of these models on here? Or advice when sorting? Can't wait to clean it up and get some proper tyres on it!

Attachments

• IMG_9152.jpg
    IMG_9152.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 726
Curiosity got the better of me! Haven't cleaned it yet but just had to see what it looked like as a mountain bike rather than a pub bike. More to follow when I have time:)

Attachments

• IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 714
Re:

Looks good :)
'92 I'd say as I have the '91 and it's grey with blue swing arm and flex-stem (build thread to follow soon once I've had a quick ride and taken some pics).

Re:

I thought that the last number represented the year, so a 550 would be a '90, my 552 is a '92.

Nice find for the money BTW, is that a steel frame, the tubes look a little skinny for alloy? Mine is alloy, I have much more faith in riding old steel than old aluminium!

Re: Re:

weeman_mtb":3umkal43 said:
I thought that the last number represented the year, so a 550 would be a '90, my 552 is a '92.

Nice find for the money BTW, is that a steel frame, the tubes look a little skinny for alloy? Mine is alloy, I have much more faith in riding old steel than old aluminium!

I think it's 90 or 91, It's branded as an Offroad rather than Proflex. Didn't they change name around '90? It's a Range Infinity steel frame and not bad nick under the grime. It need a polish and a service badly. And some chunky tyres....

Re:

I thought "Offroad" came before "Proflex" making this bike more likely to be older than newer (I'm sticking with my 1990 theory :) ).

As the bike has it's original groupset just check a couple of the Shimano date codes. There will be two capital letters stamped together on each of the components for example on the back of the cranks, on the rear of the front mech cage, etc. Then check the table below, the bike will be a little newer than these dates as parts sit in storage for a little while but it will give you an idea.

Attachments

• shimano date codes.jpg
    shimano date codes.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 560
That looks great with just the tyres swapped out. I'd fit a new black (and blank!) microadjust seatpost, period saddle, check and tune and be done.

Back