1992 Kona Cinder Cone

:) coming along nicely.

I like the component shots too, and glad you sorted a bung out. That saddle looks in good condition as well :cool:

And i also thought that the se brakes only came in rear, i have a full set here but only the rear are the se version!?

Mark

hamster":13q3k449 said:
Suntour didn't do SE cantis for the front for fear of them locking the front wheel as far as I know. Only the Pedersen ones were available in a front version.

What cantis did they use on the front for XC Pro level? I’d ideally like to get some.

mkone":39zm8koy said:
:) coming along nicely.

I like the component shots too, and glad you sorted a bung out. That saddle looks in good condition as well :cool:

And i also thought that the se brakes only came in rear, i have a full set here but only the rear are the se version!?

Mark

Are they spare by any chance?

This was mine a while back but sold it on as I wasnt using it and it started to get a few marks whilst parked in the shed. Its a really nice ride and yes the saddle was in near mint condition considering its age.
I ran it with higher spec parts but they went onto my explosif when I got that up and running.
Glad its getting another lease of life.

konacarl":1ns6melg said:
This was mine a while back but sold it on as I wasnt using it and it started to get a few marks whilst parked in the shed. Its a really nice ride and yes the saddle was in near mint condition considering its age.
I ran it with higher spec parts but they went onto my explosif when I got that up and running.
Glad its getting another lease of life.

Hey Carl,

Glad you’ve posted here. I felt she deserved the nicer parts too and I love the red, not got around to polishing it yet but the condition for her age is amazing.

I think like you I really lust over the higher end tubing of the 92 Explosif and the frame colour. I hate to say it but should one come along I’d probably swap the bits over too ;)

For now though she’s the highest spec Kona I have owned and I’m looking forward to taking her out along the local trails.

Today her XC Pro grease guard pedals arrived courtesy of the man in red with shorts and leather ran hat!

I had it powder coated a few years back now. It was a Vauxhall Red colour. I think it was a 1991 frame but I liked the 1992 red so went for that. From the pictures, it doesn't seem to have faded at all. It'll look nice with some bling on it again.

konacarl":3mfuj9am said:
I had it powder coated a few years back now. It was a Vauxhall Red colour. I think it was a 1991 frame but I liked the 1992 red so went for that. From the pictures, it doesn't seem to have faded at all. It'll look nice with some bling on it again.

Can you confirm it is a Cinder Cone, I bought it thinking it was a 1992 due to the colour and was sold it as one. I’m pretty sure Kona made no changes to the tubing or frame over those two years but I bought is as a 92 with original paint :evil:

Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. Yes Its deffo a Cinder cone. I bought it about 10 years ago it had been resprayed a nasty metallic blue before i got it. I had it blasted and powder coated in the red colour as I really liked it. It could be a 1992 but I thought it was a 1991. The frames were the same for the two years anyhow from memory.
I found this from the archive viewtopic.php?f=6&t=231181
some photos from when it was getting regular use.
The painters did a good job on the powder coating and it did look really nice. The decals cost me a bomb from the Kona Paligap authorised producer up north somewhere at the time too (about £50 I think). I did Llandegla a few times on it and people were constantly stopping and talking about it.
It still looks very good from the photo's and the powder is a lot more hard wearing than paint.
Just use it and enjoy it.

No problem Carl, good to see the bike was used back in the day. The tyres you had on the explosive are almost as new with the hairs still present and in my sales thread if you need them back ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=318387

I will build and enjoy her, it was Kona’s own top tubing so should ride nicely and I agree that whoever you had do the paint did a top job, decals are also great quality. Will be polishing her this afternoon.

Stripped the forks and last few bits off ready to polish up. The bolt holding the BB cable guide was a grease nipple, it’s all seized up and I’m not sure it was an original part but will be replaced with a standard bolt. Can you shed any light on this Konacarl, something you fitted originally?

One thing that perplexed me, how the hell did they fit the rear cable guide with the seat clamp bosses in the way?!

Back