1992 Kona Cinder Cone

Nice, some motivation for my '93 Cinder Cone :cool:

Looking forward to the build, already looking nicer than mine :LOL:

Mark

Pretty much stripped down now and a few bits for the build have arrived in the post. The XT shifters have the expected stripped mounting bolt, unsure if I’ll try and fix these or try and find some Suntour XC Pro’s now which I had planned to anyway.

Does anyone know if they shift a chain over a Shimano cassette with Suntour XC Pro mechs okay or is the spacing/pull ratio different?

A bit of an issue with the Project Two fork, one of the studs is snapped and has been ground flat, a sleeve was in its place meaning the front brake rattled a bit. Going to have to source another fork. The seller Malc has kindly offered to pay half the price of the forks replacement, I’ve found one, needs a repaint as crusty and need to double check the steerer so fingers crossed.

BB cups were dry as a bone and non drive side threads are damaged but hope to save them and install a proper Suntour XC Pro WTB grease guard BB :)

Not much in the way of updates but lots of lovely parts have been arriving in the post including a stem from Joe (mynchiboy), who answered one of my wanted threads and sold me a stem complete with my missing bung :)

It’s a small but very important part.

I also found a 7 speed HG cassette rather than my 8 speed fitted without the smallest sprocket, hoping this will work with the Suntour mechs, shifters and front rings otherwise I need to source the hubs/wheels now rather than possibly doing this down the line.
XT quick release skewers courtesy of THM to match the seat one, top chap.

I just love laying all the bits out prior to building, most of this lot arrived in th last week.

I’m not sure on what brakes I’ll end up with, I want to use the Dia-Compe SS5 levers over XC Pro ones so it makes sense to have matching cantis plus I can find rear Suntour cantis in Black (the funny Self-Energising ones), but not the front.

The XT M735 pedals are already going to make way for some lovely Suntour XC Pro grease guard ones courtesy of eBay :)

Seatpost polished up a treat, I can now confirm it’s 26.4, the diameter wasn’t visual blue prior to polish and I wasn’t sure exactly what size I needed. I’ll be using it for now by on the look out for an early Kona O-Beam as used on the higher end models of this year, or a Suntour XC Seatpost the right size.

Stem bung is perfect, just need to tidy some paint damage up on it without removing the decals.

Suntour didn't do SE cantis for the front for fear of them locking the front wheel as far as I know. Only the Pedersen ones were available in a front version.

Back