Kona identification

Newkonarider

Retro Newbie
Hi retrobikers,

I'm hoping that somebody on here can help.

I have recently been given a Kona mountain bike. I'm trying to identify the age and which model it is as the previous owner has removed the decals in order to re-spray it. i have tried contacting Kona but they as yet have not replied. I'm looking to restore it to its former glory

The frame number is F509K070* i'm not sure of the last digit due to the re-spray.

it is a hardtail with disc brakes and Suntour XCT front forks.

feel free to ask me anything to try and help with identification.

Re:

Round tubes and v-brake mounts make it before 2009 /2010 ish unless it is a Lana'i. I don't think the forks are original.

The serial number suggests 2005. But Kona used the same 7005 butted aluminium frameset for these models:

Lana'i
Fire Mountain
Cinder Cone
Blast
Caldera

I'd start with 2005 model bikes and see if you can see remnants of the original paint hidden anywhere. Then compare to these:

http://www.classickona.com/oldgold/2005/index.htm

SP

Hi Guys just refreshing this post. I've had a look through Kona's website for classic Kona and unfortunately still no luck, I have tried contacting Kona again still no reply. if anybody else can help I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hi, as SP said above, it could be any of the bikes listed as they used the same frame.

Have you looked inside tubes to see if there is any old paint colour?

Re:

Thanks mkone. unfortunately I haven't had the time to strip the bike down as yet. I'm hoping to get time soon. thought I would start by taking the seat stem out and have a look in there, failing that probably look inside the bottom bracket.

Latest posts

Back