Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

RickTheUncivil wrote:
talk to the man Danson, If he can't do it himself I'm sure he will know someone who can

I did message him but I guess he must have too much on
Anyway... I have dropped it off somewhere very loccal to me to see what can be done. Should get it back tues fingers crossed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 am 
Retro Guru

Interesting Continental sticker on the chainstay, I've never noticed one on another M-Trax/Torus apart from my own, which is an ex-Barrie Clarke team bike.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20180420-074320-288x512.png
Screenshot_20180420-074320-288x512.png [ 292.15 KiB | Viewed 818 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

TSC. wrote:
Interesting Continental sticker on the chainstay, I've never noticed one on another M-Trax/Torus apart from my own, which is an ex-Barrie Clarke team bike.

Interesting...I removed them from both sides yesterday and underneath the original titanium decals were in mint condition so have probably been on since new!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Maybe I should have left them on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 am 
Retro Guru

Really hard to tell, I don't know anymore about them, don't know whether they were only on certain bikes, or if you could by them on their own. Stephen Perkins may know, but I don't know if he's on here, I suspect he is mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am 
Retro Guru

Re the Continental Decals:

I messaged Stephen:

'Hi Stephen, just wondering if I can pick your brains. This might turn out to be nothing though.

I've seen a Torus on Retrobike that had the Continental sticker on the chainstay, I've only ever noticed them before on team bikes. Do you know if it would only be applied to certain bikes? I can't imagine them being sold or produced back then by someone like Gil at Retrodecals.'

His reply:

'Hi Martyn
Tough call. I’m pretty sure you’re right. I’ve no recollection of anything other than the team having that Conti decal.
Check the underside of the B.B. shell for riders initials, although it’s not guaranteed.
Best regards
Steve'

Not conclusive, but certainly points to an interesting history.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 am 
Retro Guru

Racin'snake wrote:
RickTheUncivil wrote:
talk to the man Danson, If he can't do it himself I'm sure he will know someone who can

I did message him but I guess he must have too much on
Anyway... I have dropped it off somewhere very loccal to me to see what can be done. Should get it back tues fingers crossed

Aye, fingers crossed.
Dan doesn't always reply right away as he does have a life away from the forum, but if your local guys can't help it may be worth a gentle reminder to him after a week or so.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:22 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

TSC. wrote:
Re the Continental Decals:

I messaged Stephen:

'Hi Stephen, just wondering if I can pick your brains. This might turn out to be nothing though.

I've seen a Torus on Retrobike that had the Continental sticker on the chainstay, I've only ever noticed them before on team bikes. Do you know if it would only be applied to certain bikes? I can't imagine them being sold or produced back then by someone like Gil at Retrodecals.'

His reply:

'Hi Martyn
Tough call. I’m pretty sure you’re right. I’ve no recollection of anything other than the team having that Conti decal.
Check the underside of the B.B. shell for riders initials, although it’s not guaranteed.
Best regards
Steve'

Not conclusive, but certainly points to an interesting history.

Thanks for your efforts Martyn
This is all very exciting. I cant check the frame number as like I said its being fettled and don't want to bother the guy who has it. I did look at the frame number and honestly cant remember seeing anything other than random numbers.
Either way the more I read about these frames the more I can't wait to ride it. Thanks :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:55 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Just a thought...this was a find only a few miles from the old RSP headquaters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Be interesting to see the frame number, but as Stephen says, it's no guarantee that it will have any initials. Exciting times though. PM me when you get the frame number and we'll see if it's anything like mine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next