'my' '96 GT Backwoods build

I think I could turn up most of that for you but you would have to pay shipping from the states.

Yay, found some old photos.

They are probably from about ’98 given the look of the build. The LX/121 rim is built and that was 98.

From what I can see this looks like the lovely silver LX 8 speed shifters, that probably pre-dates the sachs wavey I can remember.
3 chainrings so either before or after the single ring trials phase.
Silver Shimano V brakes, check. Red granny ring I remember and those cranks were after the Alivio one snapped. Looks like velociraptor tyres, had a few sets over the years so that doesn’t help with the date.
Saddle looks pretty worn so it may be a bit later than that, maybe 99.

Brake levers are Avid speed dial jobbies but can’t quite make out which model. Seem to remember 2.0 for some reason.

Totally forgot about the purple crud catcher :D

And yes, that’s Shawn the Sheep strapped to the front.

Other classy touches include the Elastoplast around the cables at the headtube to stop the rubbing, nice.

Attachments

• BW front1 30.jpg
    BW front1 30.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,248
  • BW Side1 30.jpg
    BW Side1 30.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,248
  • BW Side3 30.jpg
    BW Side3 30.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,248
parts update.

Front wheel - sorted. silver hope hub on a 121 rim, bit of an upgrade on my spec but it will do for now. I have an STX-RC and a black LX hub to choose from for the basic alloy rim that I can build up to keep it in keeping (when I find my spoke key) so have choices.

V brakes sorted, few ££ of ebay.

grips - got some nice yellow jobbies in the bag.

Still looking for:

yellow headset, 1+1/8th ahead, FSA orbit with roller bearing in the bottom and balls int eh top would be a match, but close would be close enough.

Front mech. Still looking for a STX / STXRC / LX 31.8mm clamp and bottom pull.

oh, and time, some of that would be nice. lighter and warmer nights are coming so the shed beckons

Lhatch4":7hs4l0fs said:
I think I could turn up most of that for you but you would have to pay shipping from the states.

Got a man in PA, so US post goes there and then he brings it in his suitcase :D

and good spot, but that looks more gold than yellow to me

I'm stopping by the second hand bike shop tomorrow night for a couple things. I'll keep and eye out for one. If I find it I'll let you know.

Re:

Got a bit of shed time so thought I'd give this a clean before I start building.
Quick rummage in the car cleaning box turns up a bottle of meguiars speed detailer spray, great for cleaning and adding shine, and a tub of poorboys rim wax which should help keep the shine.

Next jobs: in with bearings and I want to give the brakes and gears a clean up before they go on.

Attachments

• backwoods clean 1.jpg
    backwoods clean 1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,056
Headset and BB in,
Rear mech fits nicely ;)

Brakes are in the wash, crankset ready as soon as I can find the bolts.

Attachments

• bearingsin.jpg
    bearingsin.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,015
Re:

Basic shimano v brakes as per spec, and crankset of the specialized flavour rather than FSA but the same really so I'm calling that a win.

Front mech is an altus job, close enough I think the original was alivio.

Also note the basic alloy seat post mated to a spec Vetta TT saddle, another for the win column.

Decided to build the cheapy front wheel so that's next job, rear is ready to go.

Just need to decide on spec silver stem or add a bit of yellow that's missing from the headset into the stem instead. Then I can get on with the front end. I feel a mock up coming on

Attachments

• backwoods brakes gears.jpg
    backwoods brakes gears.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 977
Back