Show us your FAT CHANCE

Re:

It’s such a lovely bike. I’ve owned it for countless years, think I was the second owner when I bought it back in the end of last century. Rode this in the old Beastway race series on what is now the Olympic Park, and then in the Single Speed World Champs (in its one gear set up). It’s now been retired to casual tow path and pub rides but it’s still lovely. Frightening to think that this was something like £2700 for the frame in 1992. It’s also amazing so see how far titanium welds have come in the last 25 years!

Think I still have more of those decals straight out of the Fat Chance Ranch when Wendyll was doing the clear out.

Re: Re:

pete_mcc":1erw2z61 said:
It’s such a lovely bike. I’ve owned it for countless years, think I was the second owner when I bought it back in the end of last century.

Awesome... :cool: I am at least the 8th owner of mine. Its been to 3 Continents back and forth quite a few times :LOL: but its a keeper for me

Rode this in the old Beastway race series on what is now the Olympic Park, and then in the Single Speed World Champs (in its one gear set up).

It’s now been retired to casual tow path and pub rides but it’s still lovely. Frightening to think that this was something like £2700 for the frame in 1992. It’s also amazing so see how far titanium welds have come in the last 25 years!

Yeah, even working in the trade back then they were way out of my league, at least twice the price of a Merlin and triple a Marin Ti iirc. Welds were and still are a big thing for me. IROBOT’s exquisite first pass tig welds are unsurpassed imo. Its like examining the brush strokes of a Master’s painting up close, then standing back 10-15ft to enjoy it. I just prefer first pass compared to the ‘perfect’ second pass welds people obsess about today.

Think I still have more of those decals straight out of the Fat Chance Ranch when Wendyll was doing the clear out.

I shelled out for an original set from a chap in Germany but at £110 :facepalm: Im too reticent to fit them....now i have Gils better repros.

Re:

Hello Gents

I believe this one belongs in here....

Had the first ride on it ever two days ago, as spring finally decided to join.
It has been a two year project, where the frame for the most time just sat in my living room, and I just couldn´t keep away from looking at it. The first Fat I ever saw had the Cherry colour, so it simply had to be like this. Spend a huge amount of time on searching for a good balance between parts and frame, and I am very pleased with the result.

Nothing to adjust or twickle with; it just all fit and the bike is a dream to ride.

K.

Attachments

• 1991_Yo_Eddy.jpg
    1991_Yo_Eddy.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 839

Klein-aficionado":2tyd3dt3 said:
Hello Gents

I believe this one belongs in here....

Had the first ride on it ever two days ago, as spring finally decided to join.
It has been a two year project, where the frame for the most time just sat in my living room, and I just couldn´t keep away from looking at it. The first Fat I ever saw had the Cherry colour, so it simply had to be like this. Spend a huge amount of time on searching for a good balance between parts and frame, and I am very pleased with the result.

Nothing to adjust or twickle with; it just all fit and the bike is a dream to ride.

K.

Beautiful :cool: a nice early one. How does it ride and handle compared to your Kleins ?

Re:

Well - the ride is more compliant on steel.
The Yo is more absorptive than a Klein and has this great balance overall. I’m not sure, I have completely nailed the rigid fork, but I’m leaning towards the Panaracer Dart front tyre being the reason for some uncertainty or nervousness when cornering.
A Klein, to my mind, is more aggressive, unforgiving and a real race machine. Guess it comes from the extremely stiff alu tubes. To illustrate it is comparable to handling a BMW car. Very direct and very fast.

The Yo has some different geometry and it shows. I do love the feeling of riding a steel bike; you can just go on and on. The Klein is more for a shorter more intense ride. I think, I would choose the Yo over a Klein for sheer riding pleasure.

Hope it all makes sense.

K.

Klein-aficionado":3u3pkz8h said:
Well - the ride is more compliant on steel.
The Yo is more absorptive than a Klein and has this great balance overall. I’m not sure, I have completely nailed the rigid fork, but I’m leaning towards the Panaracer Dart front tyre being the reason for some uncertainty or nervousness when cornering.
A Klein, to my mind, is more aggressive, unforgiving and a real race machine. Guess it comes from the extremely stiff alu tubes. To illustrate it is comparable to handling a BMW car. Very direct and very fast.

The Yo has some different geometry and it shows. I do love the feeling of riding a steel bike; you can just go on and on. The Klein is more for a shorter more intense ride. I think, I would choose the Yo over a Klein for sheer riding pleasure.

Hope it all makes sense.

K.

I had a Dolomite back in the early 90s and would agree. A later sus corrected Yo 93-onwards with the later BOI ( as I have ) has a very ‘direct’ precise feel handling wise and its stiff too. More of a pure race machine but with more comfort than a Chehalis Klein. Id compare it to a pure race/track car set up. A FAT CHANCE Wicked or Team Comp by comparison, is like a fast GT car. At my age :LOL: and even when I was younger, i just preferred a more forgiving ride. I have yet to try the earlier non sus corrected 90-mid 93 Yo Eddy forked Yos. They look so good with the beefier segmented forks :cool: I will have to try one next.

We need more reviews like yours from people who can compare different rides :cool:

Always been a fan of smokes on the rear but found darts on the front can be a bit sketchy sometimes.

Tc":19eog53k said:
My 89 wicked

I have one myself. Such a good bike. The rear hooks while climbing. The bike has an unreal balance in technical terrain. It´s quick, fun and precise. It never gets out of control.. that´s the difference from Fat City to other brands: the bikes don´t threaten you nor ask you to pay attention. They go along w/ your rhythm.
Never had a Yo nor want it.. except when i want 2.3 tires and they won´t fit the wicked stays. Other than that it´s the quintessential woods bike for me.

shamobius":1cxfwke3 said:
40967493512_2ea4d78737_b.jpg
Bloody lovely.. :cool:

Back