Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 am 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike

It’s such a lovely bike. I’ve owned it for countless years, think I was the second owner when I bought it back in the end of last century. Rode this in the old Beastway race series on what is now the Olympic Park, and then in the Single Speed World Champs (in its one gear set up). It’s now been retired to casual tow path and pub rides but it’s still lovely. Frightening to think that this was something like £2700 for the frame in 1992. It’s also amazing so see how far titanium welds have come in the last 25 years!

Think I still have more of those decals straight out of the Fat Chance Ranch when Wendyll was doing the clear out.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:29 am 
Old School Grand Master

pete_mcc wrote:
It’s such a lovely bike. I’ve owned it for countless years, think I was the second owner when I bought it back in the end of last century.

Awesome... 8) I am at least the 8th owner of mine. Its been to 3 Continents back and forth quite a few times :lol: but its a keeper for me

Rode this in the old Beastway race series on what is now the Olympic Park, and then in the Single Speed World Champs (in its one gear set up).

It’s now been retired to casual tow path and pub rides but it’s still lovely. Frightening to think that this was something like £2700 for the frame in 1992. It’s also amazing so see how far titanium welds have come in the last 25 years!

Yeah, even working in the trade back then they were way out of my league, at least twice the price of a Merlin and triple a Marin Ti iirc. Welds were and still are a big thing for me. IROBOT’s exquisite first pass tig welds are unsurpassed imo. Its like examining the brush strokes of a Master’s painting up close, then standing back 10-15ft to enjoy it. I just prefer first pass compared to the ‘perfect’ second pass welds people obsess about today.

Think I still have more of those decals straight out of the Fat Chance Ranch when Wendyll was doing the clear out.

I shelled out for an original set from a chap in Germany but at £110 :facepalm: Im too reticent to fit them....now i have Gils better repros.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:16 am 
Old School Hero

Hello Gents

I believe this one belongs in here....

Had the first ride on it ever two days ago, as spring finally decided to join.
It has been a two year project, where the frame for the most time just sat in my living room, and I just couldn´t keep away from looking at it. The first Fat I ever saw had the Cherry colour, so it simply had to be like this. Spend a huge amount of time on searching for a good balance between parts and frame, and I am very pleased with the result.

Nothing to adjust or twickle with; it just all fit and the bike is a dream to ride.

K.

Attachments:
File comment: 1991 Fat Chance Yo Eddy
1991_Yo_Eddy.jpg
1991_Yo_Eddy.jpg [ 391.97 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 am 
Old School Grand Master

Klein-aficionado wrote:
Hello Gents

I believe this one belongs in here....

Had the first ride on it ever two days ago, as spring finally decided to join.
It has been a two year project, where the frame for the most time just sat in my living room, and I just couldn´t keep away from looking at it. The first Fat I ever saw had the Cherry colour, so it simply had to be like this. Spend a huge amount of time on searching for a good balance between parts and frame, and I am very pleased with the result.

Nothing to adjust or twickle with; it just all fit and the bike is a dream to ride.

K.

Beautiful 8) a nice early one. How does it ride and handle compared to your Kleins ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm 
Old School Hero

Well - the ride is more compliant on steel.
The Yo is more absorptive than a Klein and has this great balance overall. I’m not sure, I have completely nailed the rigid fork, but I’m leaning towards the Panaracer Dart front tyre being the reason for some uncertainty or nervousness when cornering.
A Klein, to my mind, is more aggressive, unforgiving and a real race machine. Guess it comes from the extremely stiff alu tubes. To illustrate it is comparable to handling a BMW car. Very direct and very fast.

The Yo has some different geometry and it shows. I do love the feeling of riding a steel bike; you can just go on and on. The Klein is more for a shorter more intense ride. I think, I would choose the Yo over a Klein for sheer riding pleasure.

Hope it all makes sense.

K.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:03 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Klein-aficionado wrote:
Well - the ride is more compliant on steel.
The Yo is more absorptive than a Klein and has this great balance overall. I’m not sure, I have completely nailed the rigid fork, but I’m leaning towards the Panaracer Dart front tyre being the reason for some uncertainty or nervousness when cornering.
A Klein, to my mind, is more aggressive, unforgiving and a real race machine. Guess it comes from the extremely stiff alu tubes. To illustrate it is comparable to handling a BMW car. Very direct and very fast.

The Yo has some different geometry and it shows. I do love the feeling of riding a steel bike; you can just go on and on. The Klein is more for a shorter more intense ride. I think, I would choose the Yo over a Klein for sheer riding pleasure.

Hope it all makes sense.

K.

I had a Dolomite back in the early 90s and would agree. A later sus corrected Yo 93-onwards with the later BOI ( as I have ) has a very ‘direct’ precise feel handling wise and its stiff too. More of a pure race machine but with more comfort than a Chehalis Klein. Id compare it to a pure race/track car set up. A FAT CHANCE Wicked or Team Comp by comparison, is like a fast GT car. At my age :lol: and even when I was younger, i just preferred a more forgiving ride. I have yet to try the earlier non sus corrected 90-mid 93 Yo Eddy forked Yos. They look so good with the beefier segmented forks 8) I will have to try one next.

We need more reviews like yours from people who can compare different rides 8)

Always been a fan of smokes on the rear but found darts on the front can be a bit sketchy sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 am 
Old School Grand Master

Guess who’s welding FATs at the moment ?

The LEGEND that is..... Steve Potts 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8