1990 Paul Donohue Max OR

certainly trying to makes some extra £££ :LOL: :LOL: good luck to them if they sell.

tintin40":23b45q9h said:
certainly trying to makes some extra £££ :LOL: :LOL: good luck to them if they sell.

Someone will kick themselves if they dont get these and the next set that comes along is 1k :LOL: :LOL:

I'm kicking myself for not keeping a boxed set. :oops: But then i remember i ride and use my mtb's :LOL:

Re: frame

I have just seen this. I'm a Donohue collector and you have a special frame their my friend.

Donohue made plenty of them but they were completely custom and very expensive. They were made out of whatever tubes or even combination of tubes the buyer wanted.

Most importantly it was pretty much the same design as the fabled orange formula (the unicorn) that Donohue built.

I've owned 3 one in 531, one in a mix of Reynolds and finally in Titanium.

My friend still has one in 531 with the original stem and straight forks, still the best xc mtb I've ridden.

Re: frame

beenatitforyears":2eydg4tn said:
I have just seen this. I'm a Donohue collector and you have a special frame their my friend.

Donohue made plenty of them but they were completely custom and very expensive. They were made out of whatever tubes or even combination of tubes the buyer wanted.

Most importantly it was pretty much the same design as the fabled orange formula (the unicorn) that Donohue built.

I've owned 3 one in 531, one in a mix of Reynolds and finally in Titanium.

My friend still has one in 531 with the original stem and straight forks, still the best xc mtb I've ridden.

Thanks, yes there are a few Donohue made frames about, some sharing the seatpost stamp, like the Formula you mentioned.

Still not sure on the plans for this but am gathering parts for it, slowly :LOL:

Its always good to see pics of nice bikes on here so feel free to post some up of yours and your friends bikes ;)

Small update; after deciding to go with a more modern build ('93 ish :) ) i have now gone back to liking the '90 spec build :roll: partly due to the early RC35's i have still having bonded canti mounts and wanting to run Hydro Stops. Obviously this will change numerous times in the futre :LOL:

Here are some 1st gen RC30's i have which need a refurb, just waiting to find a suitable stem and can get them both matched. Still havent decided on wether to get the frame resprayed or touched up so could all end up matched yet.

Mark P1010811 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
mkone":s5c6hjjv said:
Small update; after deciding to go with a more modern build ('93 ish :) ) i have now gone back to liking the '90 spec build :roll: partly due to the early RC35's i have still having bonded canti mounts and wanting to run Hydro Stops. Obviously this will change numerous times in the futre :LOL:

Here are some 1st gem RC30's i have which need a refurb, just waiting to find a suitable stem and can get them both matched. Still havent decided on wether to get the frame resprayed or touched up so could all end up matched yet.

Mark

Like the look of this project Mark.....If its the same standard as your Kona Explosive, it'll be a good one.

The Spec sounds good, especially with the RC30's and Hydro stops.

Every day is a School day for me... I didn't know that the Hydro stops were available in a Canti - stud version. Finding a 2nd pair to your NOS ones will probably be quite difficult?
Suppose it's just the mounting brackets rather than the whole unit?

I've attached a few pics of the Magura mount Specific RC30's that are on my RC100.
I also have a set of RC35's that belong with my Pace that also have the same mounts.

Hopefully the pics will show the differences between the Canti mount and Specific mount versions. Note the 'Made in West Germany' stamp in Pic 2

Keep up the good work!

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• paceRC1008.jpg
    paceRC1008.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 535
  • paceRC1006.jpg
    paceRC1006.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 533
  • Maguras2.jpg
    Maguras2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 533
  • prep1.jpg
    prep1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 534
boyOboy:8uy69izn said:
Like the look of this project Mark.....If its the same standard as your Kona Explosive, it'll be a good one.

The Spec sounds good, especially with the RC30's and Hydro stops.

Every day is a School day for me... I didn't know that the Hydro stops were available in a Canti - stud version. Finding a 2nd pair to your NOS ones will probably be quite difficult?
Suppose it's just the mounting brackets rather than the whole unit?

I've attached a few pics of the Magura mount Specific RC30's that are on my RC100.
I also have a set of RC35's that belong with my Pace that also have the same mounts.

Hopefully the pics will show the differences between the Canti mount and Specific mount versions. Note the 'Made in West Germany' stamp in Pic 2

Keep up the good work!

boy"O"boy

Thanks for the kind words, love that Pace btw :)

Thanks for the added pics too, i have took a couple of shots of the original mounts that come in the box, also with the W Germany stamp. I assumed the Pace type double mount clamps would have been an additional part, would be interested to know if they sold the Pace version boxed.

I am not going to hold my breath waiting for another NOS Hydro stop :LOL: but was offered a used set which i now own and prefer as i wont be too afraid to use them. :)

Mark P1010851 (Medium).JPG P1010847 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
A set of Hydro-Stop-Mountain, with original mounting hardware (not pictured) and fresh decals :cool: all courtesy of gil.

Long way to go but a couple of the bigger parts found so can only get easier from here :shock: :LOL:

Mark P1011108 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this develop. I remember seeing a few of these knocking about BITD.

Cykik was a bike shop on Wilson Street in Middlesbrough in the early '90s, they sold some extremely cool stuff. A good mate of mine designed the logo for them!

Attachments

• P1011450 (Medium).JPG
    P1011450 (Medium).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 404
Back