1993/94 NTI Rock Lobster™ ..the poor mans Bontrager

Re:

After a bit of a tidy up at the weekend I’m getting close to being pretty much sorted now on the parts, rather worryingly I’ve got two of somethings… I been amassing parts for that long that I’ve inadvertently double bubbled some, although I can use a spare chain on anything.

There’s been a few changes along the way but essentially it’s staying Black XT throughout I was seriously tempted to ditch some components in favour of more up market offerings and some were seriously tempting….but I remained true to black XT all the way.

In other areas I’ve moved from thumb shifters and levers to some NOS combos to save space on the handlebar, although it transpired the uncut Matrix handlebars we're in the Mike Murray flavour of uber short/narrow specials

I started to questioning my sanity as the original and un-cut bar which was causing the levers to almost meet in the middle (similar to the problem I had back in the 90’s when using a USE bar) turns out to be a darn sight shorter than a standard Hyperlite.

The Hyperlite and Matrix side by side and butted up against a wall ..both un cut but look at the difference in overall length

If only you could still but them at this price....

The other low point was building the rear wheel up and realising it was a M732 hub built for a 130mm back end, and whilst I messed around with a longer Axle and spacers which came very kindly into my possession “Gratis” via Mr OX, I wasn’t feeling the love with the extra nuts etc … and found myself a proper M732 built for 135mm.

The Flanges on one actually sit just inside the other before you even dick around with axels

The only real break from wall to wall Shimano is the Bottom bracket as I just don’t like the sealed ones, don’t get me wrong they’re great value money, work well and last for years (everything you could want from a BB) .....but they look so bland compared to a something anodised,

This Ti Roox axle came minus the lockrings but Racer X sorted me out with some NOS raw Aluminium ones which I intend to get dipped in an ANNO bath to match the black theme.

Mr X’s emporium of exotica also delivered a swaray into Ultimate Machine goodies

And just for Mr Tboo
T'boo Ted":5px31odm said:
…….. I do remember getting some Air-b back in the day, the Big Buck $$$$$ pink ones that were supposed to be unflatable...double flat first ride.

I'm not entirely sure latex from the early 90's is gonna cut the mustard any more, but hey we'll find out real soon,

1994 Nouveau !

Re: Re:

shinobi":2c4juew3 said:
The History Man":2c4juew3 said:
And in your shorts for the walk home.
:LOL: :LOL:

^^ :LOL:
You can always rely on THM to move a thread in an unexpected off topic direction...
A few days ago it was the Beast of the East pt2 and saving frog spawn

Re:

Finally sorted out the front end after a lot of umming and ahhing over the past few months

Do I go with Bontrager forks as per my original set up? or use the Pace ones I have ?.... or go with a bit of period bounce up front.

Having missed out on these Bonties that went for more than I was prepared to pay for this build

I considered re purposing these very early MK1 RC30's but somehow it seemed wrong breaking up the Yates, but owing to the black crown I must admit I was seriously tempted to have the legs painted at the same time as the frame

so I went with these courtesy of KreaMIT, I've always fancied a set, even back in the day I would have swapped the Bontrager straight blades for a set in a flash,

These XC600's have been rebuilt, new decals and a new super long 1' steerer added (just needs knocking in) can't thank KreaMIT aka Dr Marzocchi enough for his help https://dr-marzocchi.projectweb.de/

One seriously long steerer...

I think the Gold will sit really nicely along side the metallic green frame and Black XT hubs, brakes etc
just gotta get the frame over to be painted in Bristol now !

and just to tie the gold theme in I've got a seat collar which will sit between the black XT post and the green frame.
Not sure if the different shades of gold will sit easily alongside each other ...I guess time will tell.

kermitgreenkona88":1sgwjsys said:
Despite my name being taken in vain earlier in this post :shock: :LOL: Did you ever settle on a green :?:

Hell yah,

As per the colour swatch on pg2 its 100% going the dark metallic flamboyant Forest Green Argos have, with the iconic yellow "playing card" Rock Lobster decals courtesy of gill

Attachments

• decals-lobster.jpg
    decals-lobster.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 747

Retro Spud":1gb7iixg said:
kermitgreenkona88":1gb7iixg said:
Despite my name being taken in vain earlier in this post :shock: :LOL: Did you ever settle on a green :?:

Hell yah,

As per the colour swatch on pg2 its 100% going the dark metallic flamboyant Forest Green Argos have, with the iconic yellow "playing card" Rock Lobster decals courtesy of gill

Okay all I was going to say was a mate of mine had one of these and I remember the original colour being closer to No.15 Verde ;)

Back