95 GT Pantera Fork Upgrade

Re:

Photo0509_zps0zhfmwht.jpg

Sorry :oops: , just got a soft spot for the AMP forks just for there simplicity , just bushes screws and a bit of oil , ( i still make the screws for these forks :facepalm: )

Re:

You guys are great, so many replies and pictures in such a short period of time. I mistakenly said it was a 95 pantera, but it is indeed a 96. I'm trying to keep the cantilever brakes, I accidentally called them v-brakes.

Does anyone know the difference between the Quadra 21 and 21r? I'm having a tough time finding information.

Re:

fwiw i found a set of rock shox quadra 21r's on ebay. The seller said there is life left in the elastomers, so we will see what happens. If not, I found someone that sells replacements. If everything works out, I will be recleaning/relubing the forks, and polishing the bike each winter, and have an awesome ride in the spring/summer/fall!

I don't want the latest and greatest bike tech, I just want this bike to perform as intended in 1996.

from memory the 21r was tool free adjustable on preload.....
coil springs inside may be an option but the rebound will be like a pogo stick.
cheap and low maintenance fork too.. no oil to do a judy on you.ie a puddle of oil on the floor...

Re:

Oh cool, I will reach out to you if the quadra doesn't work out. I should've had the fork yesterday but the snow is delaying fedex, and my package is sitting in a fedex warehouse in PA.

Re:

So I got the rockshox in the mail, they were in salvagable shape. I pulled everything apart, used wd40 and 0000 steel wool to remove light rust from the uppers, and did my best to clean the inside of the lowers. I had to remove alot of rust from the small springs where the uppers screw into the lowers. I lubed everything up with the sram grease, the elastomers seemed to be ok. I took it out for a ride last night, I was pleasantly surprised how well the suspension felt. I'll ride it like this for the season, and perhaps next winter i'll pull the forks apart again, I want to hit the inside of the lowers with a wire brush on a drill tip in case there is any surface rust built up.

I also replaced the old tires/tubes that were dry rotted with Continental DoubleFighter III tires and Continental mtb tubes. I love the DWS tires they make that I have on my car, so I figured they'd probably make excellent bike tires too. These are cool, low rolling resistance for riding around town, with some grip on the edges for riding through grass/dirt.

I had to use the topcap that came with the suspension fork and I don't like how it looks, so i found a guy on ebay that sells top caps and puts the GT logo on them, I'm not sure if its painted or anodized blue, or if the logo is painted or engraved, but it will look awesome either way. I just ordered it 10 minutes ago, so it's not on the bike yet.

For anyone wondering, I found that kickstand on amazon. It pulls completely off, and folds in half like tent poles with the band inside. Then it clips into the bracket that I mounted under the vertical water bottle cage. Very clean look, gives me a kickstand without having something permanently mounted that flops around and dangles from the bike.

I ended up having to cut the front brake cable shorter, and read this ingenious tip to heat shrink the cable end, worked perfect.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20180324_172201.jpg
    IMG_20180324_172201.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20180324_172209.jpg
    IMG_20180324_172209.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 338
Back