1996 Kona Hei Hei

Got back today and decided to fit the headset. I went with the red cups as i decided to use the red wheelset i have, to keep with the build it with what i have idea, instead of waiting for parts to finish yet another build.

Also had a red post so have ended up colour matching after all :roll:

Might still put a silver headset in and silver post as im not sure if i like the red, anyway, a quick couple of pics as it stands now. P1011606 (Medium).JPG P1011607 (Medium).JPG P1011605 (Medium).JPG P1011611 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Taking shape nicely! love the splash of colour and a very nice selection of components too. I have a factory (catalogue spec) 1995 version in 18 inch that i have owned for a long time. It never gets used so have managed to keep it in excellent condition, even down to the nobbles on the original tyres!

Cheers guys.

Just thought i would add a couple of pics of how its standing at the moment.

Despite thinking i had all the parts there is always something to set you back. In this case the front mech i bought just for this bike is the wrong size, obviously 🤦 thats what happens when buying for a few bikes at once, so, having to wait for one in the right size and also had to go and get a hope bb out of another frame, without a hope tool, but the Royce one did the job as the bb wasnt seized in, thankfully :D

The magics are intended for this frame, but when i build it with SL's and full 950 XTR, just thought i would pop them on while i wait for other parts. The 9spd parts will be coming off for 8spd versions probably. The Control Tech v brakes are very nice, i havent used them yet but they are super easy to set up and feel solid :cool:

The plan was to have it built before christmas, just going to have to change which one :LOL: P1011650 (Medium).JPG P1011647 (Medium).JPG P1011689 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Just an update on the Hei Hei.

Everyone is away for a few days so had time to sort a couple of my neglected bikes :)

What started as a quick cable up obviously turned into a long drawn out affair, and still havent finished it :roll: the rear brake was proving to be a mare to set up, but after a sit down and a nice meal i realised what i needed to do :cool: so should be sorted tonight or tomorrow.

Gone with the 9 speed set up too and all parts are on now, just need to cable those and fit chain, grips and should be ready to roll :D P1010647 (Medium).JPG P1010644 (Medium).JPG P1010634 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Some built but not finished pics :)

I have just got hold of a front hub which i have been searching for for some time, so will be getting it built up soon to go with a back one i already had, then swap the red parts out for silver and should be finished for the time being :cool:

Mark P1010674 (Medium) - Copy.JPG P1010666 (Medium) - Copy.JPG P1010673 (Medium) - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Re: 1996 Kona Hei Hei - (built) -

Few more without the bright sun

Mark P1010670 (Medium) - Copy.JPG P1010669 (Medium) - Copy.JPG P1010671 (Medium) - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Re:

That is a really nice bike. Great era, great geometry. Kind of wish i had it instead of my XLM.

Good build.

I'd go amber wall not white but it's not my bike is it?! :)

What size is it? 18in?

If you ever sell it....

G

Back