'97 Giant Boulder Alu-Lite, (clean up of an old friend)

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
I bought this Giant from new, back in January 1998 (Santa had let me down again) from "Pedal Power" in Enfield North London, (which I just looked up on Google maps, is now a charity shop - much the way of many a good shop since the internet arrived).
She's been a faithful ride, from daily London commuter, a family lead bike fitted with a baby/toddler carrier and now something I use to try and keep up with the kids when they trail over the East Yorkshire Wolds.
I've spent most my time tinkering/restoring old road/race bikes, so apart from home servicing I haven't really repaid this bike with much love, that stops now... I've spent Saturday stripping off all the bits & bats of left over plastic & brackets from her 20 years in my care and painstakingly used some T-cut to remove some sprayed up road-marking paint (that day,10 or so years ago was a messy one).

Here is her spec;
1997 Giant Boulder Alu-lite
Size: 23.5inch,
Frame: ALUXX 6061
Colour: Metalic wild cherry/silver
Wheels and Tires
Hubs: Steel quick release, front & rear
Rims: Hoopster, 36-spoke
Tires: 26 x 1.95inch Kenda K-850
Spoke Brand: Steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
Spoke Nipples: Brass nipples
Components
Brake set: Tektro brakes, steel levers
Shift Levers: Shimano V-brake
Crank set: SR aluminium, 28/38/48 teeth
Bottom Bracket: Chin Haur CH-48
BB Shell Width: 68mm English
Rear Cogs: 7-speed, 14 - 28 teeth
Seat-post: Aluminium, 29.2 mm diameter
Saddle: FLX flow-gel
Handlebar: Steel
Handlebar Stem: Steel
Headset: 1inch HPO1H

Attachments

• Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 4.jpeg
    Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 4.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 3,346
  • Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 3.jpeg
    Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 3.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 3,345
  • Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 2.jpeg
    Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 2.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 3,342
  • Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 1.jpeg
    Giant Boulder Alu-Lite 1.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 3,348
Had a click through from your signature. Nice no-nonsense bike that. I like a lot of the Giant bikes I see. Partner has a Dirt-E & our lad used to race on a Giant Reign so we were often down our local franchise & was nearly tempted to get one (modern of course) but went down the retro Orange route instead. Great staff so I often go there for stuff & have a mooch around

Cheers,
This bike, although nothing special, has been and done so much with me and the only bike I’ve had from new, still ride it pretty much every working day and will never ever sell it.... :)

Latest posts

Back