1991 Alan adventure mtb carbonio

SammyS

Dirt Disciple
When i first saw this Alan lurking in the shadows of a fully loaded garage,i kinda knew it's gonna be mine.

There was an auction garage sale of bikes and parts from past 4 decades. A distinguished Finnish veteran road cyclist had sadly passed away and left a garage full of bikestuff behind.
I could not go to the auction because it was too far away and in the middle of work week.So i bidded on the phone text message without actually seeing the bike live.To my suprise my bid won and i arranged to collect it next week.

The Alan was a frameset with mostly Shimano xt and only Campy seatpost+headset.When i went to collect it, there was still a lot of bike stuff left for sale like Campy mtb wheelset and crankset, so i decided to buy them too and start making Alan an all Italian stallion.
It took some 6 months to find all the missing parts i wanted and finalize the rebuild.

I sent an email to alanbikes.it for more information about this model.Alberto Falconi from Alanbikes answered me the next day saying, that this model was in production during 1988-1991.The manufacture date for this particular frame by frame number could not be told by Alanbikes.

The Campy parts on this bike are mostly nos/nib/unused/little used and of different series of Campy's obscure mtb lineup.All the other parts are nos.
Campy parts are:Record o.r. front cantilever brake,front derailleur and rear hub.
Icarus crankset and bullet shifters. Centaur seatpost,pedals and brake levers.Euclid rear monoplaner brake and front hub. 8-speed cassette is 13-26 Campy something.
Olympus rear derailleur.Nuovo Record headset and Mirox rims.

The rest Italian parts are: 3ttt chromix stem,Modolo raid handlebar,Selle italia flite titanium saddle and Vittoria spinx trp 26x2.00'' tyres.

There are still a few non Italian parts:Taya pro relief chain,Continental innertubes,DT Swiss spokes,Jagwire brake cables, and dare i say a Shimano bottom bracket un55/110mm. I haven't yet found the correct bottom bracket for Icarus crankset: 1990's 111mm spindle Campagnolo cartridge with italian threading.

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_3.jpg

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_5.jpg

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_13.jpg

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_14.jpg

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_12.jpg

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_15.jpg

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_7.jpg

alan-adventure-mtb-carbonio-36392_9.jpg

Double-E F":3bpd4oez said:
^^ +1 ^^ :cool:

Doesn't seem to be getting much sunlight though ;)..
Will you ever ride it?

Well,maybe some nice sunny weekend test ride next summer...This one is retired from off road service. :cool:

Re:

Really like how you have pulled the vArious campag parts together. Works really well.

My only comment would be to maybe change the bullet shifters to 8 speed thumbies, as these are really nice, and fairly easy to source

Top top bike anyway, nice one

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":256pls52 said:
Really like how you have pulled the vArious campag parts together. Works really well.

My only comment would be to maybe change the bullet shifters to 8 speed thumbies, as these are really nice, and fairly easy to source

Top top bike anyway, nice one

Thanks xxnick1975 !

I thought about the thumbies,but i already had a set of bullets in a box and wanted to try them first.
I know that the bullet shifters don't appeal visually that much,but they do make a very clear/clean look to the cockpit.

I do have some refinements in mind for Alan.First: gettin' rid of that S*mano bb. Second: a Record o.r./Icarus series rear derailleur would work better because they are 8-speed.The Olympus currently is 7-speed and does not shift that well to the largest rear sprocket.Third: a Record o.r/Icarus series brake levers would look little nicer than the black centaurs.

That's a stunning bike. I ride a very similar looking bike, a British Eagle which was made in Wales in 1991/92. Some say it was the Alan frame rebadged but I'm not sure. Certainly very similar to look at.

Mine is dressed head to toe in Shimano XT and is ridden most days from April thru November on road, trail and up & down Welsh mountains. It's coped with everything without any problems. Last year it covered nearly 2,000 miles including a trip up and over Pen-y-Fan. Not bad for a 25+ year old bike.

Back