1990 Kona Explosif

Finished, for now at least :)

Not quite as i originaly wanted but happy enough, and it will get ridden this way, not just stood and dusted now and again :) always room for improvement along the way with a couple more black xt components if and when i find them.

For now a few pics, sorry for the poor camera, am looking at getting/borrowing a better one soon.

Mark

Frame: 1990 Kona Explosif Tange Prestige

Fork: Track Two

Headset: Hatta Swan
Stem: Velocity
Handlebar: Tioga Tange Prestige
Grips: Tioga
Barends: No

Brakes: Shimano XT
Brake Pads: Shimano XT
Brake Cables: Yes
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano XT

Shifters: Shimano XT
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Derailleur Cables: Yes
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Shimano XT
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
Pedals: Shimano XT

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT
Rims: Araya
Hubs: Shimano XT
Nipples: Yes
Spokes: Yes
Tyres: Tioga Farmer Johns
Tubes: Yes

Saddle: Avocet Racing 2
Seatpost: Shimano XT
Seatpost Binder: Shimano XT

Weight: Long P1010691 (Medium) - Copy.JPG P1010679 (Medium) - Copy.JPG P1010690 (Medium) - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Re: 1990 Kona Explosif - (finished) -

I like that ....A LOT

Gonna have a proper look later on a bigger screen than a poxy iPhone

Can’t go wrong with black XT

Retro Spud":3p693jlc said:
I like that ....A LOT

Gonna have a proper look later on a bigger screen than a poxy iPhone

Can’t go wrong with black XT

Thanks mate. Probably better on the smaller screen, hides my poor photo skills and cheap camera better :LOL:

A few more after the sun went in, it didnt stay out long :LOL:

Mark P1010681 (Medium).JPG P1010695 (Medium).JPG P1010687 (Medium).JPG P1010688 (Medium).JPG P1010685 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Finally got out for a ride on it :cool:

After a quick shakedown ride and a few adjustments/tweaks, i took the Explosif for a ride along the railway path. Not technical in the slightest but gave me a feel for the bike, the ride postion and the basic handling characteristics.

I was suprised at how good the new XT pads were, have used other brands for a while and if Shimano ones they are usually worn. These worked very well, which was good as the first thing i ride is a steeeep hill to a sharp chicane at the bottom :shock:

When on the track the first thing i noticed was how direct the power to the wheel is, i am used to a bit of flex, which i dont mind but this was not flexy at all. Which was strange in that the ride was still smooth and not harsh in any way. Would make a good race bike, which is what it was designed for i suppose :LOL: went up a couple of hills too and up out of the saddle it just climbs so well, no flex there either, even stood up and in a stupid wrong gear. Really like the frame, and compared to the more modern Orange Prestige i am riding at the moment, it is just way nicer.

Right, thats the frame out the way, now the fork :shock: well, its certainly rigid :LOL: which makes it direct but, its rigid, which makes it harsh, (did i mention it was rigid?) over everything! this frame i feel would be much more suited to a project two and then for me, it would be hard to fault. Only had the one ride on this but i like it as much as the '93 Kilauea which is praise indeed. Totally different rides but both make me smile and both feel real :cool:

Mark P1010094 (Medium).JPG P1010084 (Medium).JPG P1010086 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
After years of riding with front suspension - if you can call 25mm of travel “suspension” I rode a Retro ride on my rigid TBG Cindercone and felt like I’d been beaten up by the time we got back to the car park. I didn’t help matters running 1.5 conti XC’s at crazy hard pressure
The ride was great but way too harsh for me these days - guess I’ve gone soft

Anyway back to your Explosive, proper nice and glad to see it’s getting used

Would be great to see my 1990 Cindercone splatter and your Explosive in the same pic side by side

Yeah, would be good to see them side by side :) and to have a go on each others bikes to compare the ride. Think yours is a 19" though but should still fit ok i think.

And im used to rigid forks but have never rode the Track Two fork, these are just too rigid, maybe thats why some broke. If i ever found some '90 Project Two's i would swap the over

Back