Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Earlier I showed you the Batavus Hunter Pro

This is the Batavus Hunter. Batavus is a large established Dutch bicycle manufacturer. Gazelle's main rival. I finished the project a couple days ago.

The Hunter has a steel frame with seriously ovalised tubing. It very much looks like Columbus Max, but by lifting the frame you can feel it isn't Nivachrom. It is a new to me variation of Tange MTB OS. The frame is nicely made. Batavus had its own custom and small series frame building department in Heerenveen, but unlike Gazelle's Champion Mondial ATB the Hunter frame isn't made in very limited quantities in Holland, but sourced in the far east. Frame and FIR rim wheels are very robust. A contrast with the original spec very light aluminium stem and carbonfibre handle bar. I replaced both for a Tange Prestige T-bone and a True Temper Competition 4130. The Onza Chill Pills and (German) Bike-Tech CNC booster are upgrades. The carbon (laminated) post is original. The groupset is Shimano's Deore DX. A blue collar champ.

Last summer I bought the bike as full bike from a bike shop owner. It came fitted with fenders, racks, two locks and much more. It lost about half of it weight. The Batavus was previously be owned by the father of the shop owner.

Non-drive side

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 pm 
Retro Guru

That looks clean; lovely build, M. 8)!

Not digging the pedals, but other than that..
Got any more of the red outer cable: looks cool!

Curious to hear how that behaves off the road.

:D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

It is clean. It already was clean and I put a lot of effort in it to bring the cosmetic condition to the best possible level. I planned it as rider, but possibly I'll start another rider project. Batavus like this you don't find at every corner. I spotted another one for sale recently. The classified mentioned it was previously be owned by Erik Dekker. This could very well be the case as Erik raced to olympic silver on a KNWU Batavus Professional after Fabio Casartelli (Barcelona 1992).

The pedals are NOS Mongoose pedals. I bought a job lot and have them on several bikes. The red cable is 6mm Specialized cable. The internal routing Tioga stem requires 6mm cable.

I haven't tried it offroad yet, but judging by the looks it must be good while the solid build quality inspires confidence.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:04 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

very nice clean mtb. New manufacture to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Batavus is more famous for their traditional Dutch bikes and professional road bikes than for their mountainbikes. Batavus has a museum in Heerenveen where thy give an overview of their and the bicycle's history in general. Actually it is their second museum. The first collection was sold to Shimano in the early 80s during an economic downturn. It is now on display in Japan.

At the moment this is my only other offroad Batavus:

An early eighties Batavus Professional cross bike.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:44 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Batavus was so kind to provide me a scan of 1991 catalog pages showing the Hunter:

The Hunter was the top of the line mountainbike model for 1991. The full 'Action Line' MTB line up: under this link