Kids Zaskar (20") Version - Pimped Build Thread

Vinbad

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Am hoping this thread will a) keep me motivated and focused and b) help me with some of the more tricky aspects of this build.

This example of a very limited edition 20" wheel Kids Zaskar was rescued from an ebay seller in the US. It was built with modern BMX parts. Have a 4 year old daughter (hence the 3DV parts) and another (daughter) on the way so wanted to build a pimped out 'Kids Zaskar' for use when they get a bit older. I have never seen one decked with quality retro parts - and I thought I could change that.

The wheel size is going to be the main issue. Being a 20", its hard to get retro parts. Think I'm going to have to use a road Dura-ace hub for the rear as its 126mm between the stays.

Any help, advice and opinions along the way are hugely welcomed.

Vini

Attachments

• Forks.jpg
    Forks.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 1,818
  • Laidoutbike.jpg
    Laidoutbike.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 1,815
  • Cranks_1.jpg
    Cranks_1.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 1,814
  • Bars_grips.jpg
    Bars_grips.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 1,812
  • Rear hanger.jpg
    Rear hanger.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,813
  • Frame_only.jpg
    Frame_only.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 1,818
  • Full_kit.jpg
    Full_kit.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 1,820
This is beyond awesome.
I wonder how much you could change the width of a rear hope hub with custom end caps, probably not enough... just thinking out loud.

Re:

Thank you. I hope it will be something special when I'm done. I was wondering if 'altering' some parts might be the answer. Thinking that I might be limited to 7 speed otherwise. 126mm is an old road size I believe. Common on BMX also.

Attachments

• Hub_width.jpg
    Hub_width.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 1,799
  • Hub_126mm.jpg
    Hub_126mm.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,799
Looking good, and love the 3DV parts. Luckily for me, the 24” wheel Zaskar has a regular spaced rear hub. Also, you might find the Flite too big for a kid. I had to put a smaller (non retro) saddle on The Boys bike. Maybe he can grow into a Flite!

I’d also be interested to know if the 20” wheeler is stamped 6061 or 7005.

Also, what’s your plan for the WI cranks? Are you going to drill and shorten them?

Anyway, good luck with the build. Can’t wait to see it finished.

Re. Flite. I have considered getting an old one, stripping it back to plastic. Getting it 3D scanned and getting someone to produce one via a 3D printer at 3/4 size. Then Shorten the Ti rails and re-upholster. Lot of work that though! Think its stamped 7005. Yes, i had planned to shorten the WI cranks. Going to give it a go anyway.

Re:

Please don't shorten the white industries cranks. :oops: I love them. I'm a little jealous that they're going on a child's bike.

Re:

Open the search tab and look up “baby pace forks number 2”. It’s something I did for my young un some time ago. It might be right up your street.

Nice project.

That Dura-Ace hub requires a unique, very-hard-to-find threaded locking sprocket that was smaller than the standard Uniglide diameter. If you have one, great. If you need one, good luck!

If you can find a 126mm 7-speed Hyperglide hub (105 or Ultegra 600) you can put eight 9-speed sprockets on the freehub body and use 9-speed shifters. Start with an 11-28 or 11-32 cassette and throw away the 11t.

Back