Giant Cadex Cfm 1 build - with SACHS stuff

mr_gumby

rBotM Winner
Hey everyone!

This pristine-looking, tiny 16" '93 Giant Cadex frame with aluminum forks has been sitting in the corner next to my dest for the past six months or so. Didn't know what to do with it except for keeping it as a barter object (since my gf says she "already has a bike").

Now I got my hands on a (presumably) 1993 SACHS New Success rear derailleur (long cage) along with the fitting cantilever (Cyclocross?) brakes and a set of blue '95 SACHS 6000 MTB hubs. I was given those parts by a friend and didn't get them for my Cadex in the first place. Yet, I really like how the parts go with the frame and I know almost nothing about SACHS componentry. So this Cadex project will be more of an excursion, not a crusade against Shimano parts ;)

Unfortunately, the frame needs a top pull front derailleur and there doesn't seem to be a New Success or 6000 front derailleur with TP.
What are my options now apart from just resorting to an XTR or Exage one?
Would it be "okay" to build it with a 1x7/8 drivetrain? Was using just one chain ring even a "thing" back then? My guess is no but please school me.

Thanks for your input!

My Verlicchi has a top pull Sachs Quarz mech. 1x7 drivetrains weren't common in the early 90s. Don't know whether it will work properly. Depends on the spring tension in the rear mech I think.

Not sure about the mech but we used to run single ring up front sometimes. Used to shorten the chain to stop it jumping off, didnt always work :) and sometimes a front mech to stop the chain droping off the ring, didnt always work either :LOL: vague memories of a friend fitting a coaster brake to his Kona just came to me :D

thanks for your answers so far.

Got some updates on the project for you (pictures follow at the end) :D
I won't build it up as a 1x7 as I found a SACHS 6000 crank in NOS condition. As for the front derailleur: A Sachs Neos TP braze-on with a clamp will do the job.
I decided to use this one after finding this brochure:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 1.jpg.html

It says (in German) that NEOS components "are in essence equal to QUARZ", which I figure, is a class higher and somewhat similar to NEW SUCCESS.
The Sachs 6000 group appeared 1995-ish and seems to be complete.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 0.jpg.html

Yet, it doesn't have a TP derailleur. What a mess.

Long story short, this is the componentry I am going to use :

Front derailleur: Sachs Neos TP
Rear mech: Sachs New Success long cage MTB-derailleur
Shifters: Sachs PowerGrip Pro with lock/unlock toggle
Brakes: Sachs New Success Cantilever brakes (identical to Sachs 6000 imho)

Crank: Sachs 6000

BB: Shimano BB-UN55 73/110

Stem: 130 mm CrMo Stem, silver; until something better comes along
Tires: Specialized Ground Control skinwall-tires (got them for free)
Rims: Alesa 26"/36 hole hard anodized rims

Pictures (also of a mock set-up)
https://imgur.com/a/206xN

I agree that the XTR-groupset would have been the more apt choice but sinceit commands quite a high price and I got other fish to fry I decided to play with the underdogs :LOL:
I hope I'll manage to build a decent non-Frankenbike in the end. We'll see.

The frame is quite small for me (16,5" [42cm] / 5'7" [174 cm]) but I've heard stories from an older colleague that he'd ridden an 18,9" [48 cm] frame cm frame being 6'3" [193 cm] for quite a while back in the 90s.
Tell me what you think!

Cheers and have a great week!

Dan

Back