1992 Merlin Mountain

Elev12k you weren't wrong, it was off a wee bit on further inspection...

I have resolved the unsightliness, thanks for the scrutiny!

Finally had a stretch of dry weather, enough to dry up the mud. Time to take the Merlin out on a proper trail ride. Put some 'sensible' tires on it and off we went...

20180211_114035 by shamalama88, on Flickr

The bike handled better than I had hoped. A great climber, with a nice stretched out riding position. Stiffer than I had expected, with just the right amount of spring. The forks really complement the frame; a slightly long a2c of 415mm slackens the geometry just a touch, putting the bike in a nice sweet spot for handling. The bar is a bit over 24" which makes for very comfortable and confident steering. The SweetWings cranks are very stiff, with great power transfer.

All in all a better-than-hoped for ride, and another goddamn keeper lol...

20180211_125258 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20180215_154124 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20180215_154023 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20180215_153958 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Thanks M-Power, I feel the same, it would be nice to hear more often how people's bikes actually ride/feel. Most of us have multiple bikes; its cool to be able to compare them and tweak. I am still trying to figure out what my favorite bikes are, or even to be able to rank them.

The Sweet Wing cranks sure divide a room! I like them a lot, but may swap them out for something earlier. I do love being able to run a 20 tooth granny though!!

Re:

Detailed bike reviews, comparisons if possible, is prolly the single biggest thing thats lacking on this site - imo, apart from its limited functionality. So many unusual high end and in some cases very rare bikes but seldom a ride review ( pros and cons ).

We can’t own all the iconic retro bikes but id sure as hell like to know what im missing :LOL:

Back