1992 Trek 8000 - Finished! See page 2

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'll update this thread with some more pics in due course, but right now i could do with some assistance please!

This is the front mech route...anyone know if there should be a roller there? If so, where can I get one from :shock:

Pic lost 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Re: 1992 Trek 8000

No roller, it's a cable stop.

Are those pen marks on the left, or something more sinister?

al-onestare":lhydecnz said:
No roller, it's a cable stop.

Are those pen marks on the left, or something more sinister?

Cheers - thought so, couldn't remember there ever being a roller there.

As for the marks on the left, in the words of The Black Knight "'tis but a scratch" :)

Re:

Just about to answer this, but pipped to the post..

The front mech should have a 'Trek specific' barrel adjuster fitted to it, and the threaded bolt is indeed a cable stop. You can just about make it out in the picture below. No idea why they did it like that though :?

Attachments

• Trek_8000_blau_10.jpg
    Trek_8000_blau_10.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2,616
Re:

That's how its goes?! :shock:
Luckily i do have the Trek specific cable stop, but could have sworn it looped around and back up to the mech.
I'll re-do it :)

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":3pf2dgxj said:
No idea why they did it like that though :?

Trimble use the same for the front mech. It should make it smoother to change gear.

If you lose it (figuratively, literally or mentally), there is an alternative using a v-brake noodle and a top pull mech

trek_7000_132.jpg

How’s the build going on this one, I would have asked ages ago but it’s taken me almost 12 months to pluck up the courage to open this page and view those yellow tyres again ^^

Retro Spud":1c644by2 said:
How’s the build going on this one, I would have asked ages ago but it’s taken me almost 12 months to pluck up the courage to open this page and view those yellow tyres again ^^

Its on the work stand right now!

I’ve stripped it down and am now waiting on a few new bits to arrive. Biggest problem I have at the moment is that the stem is stuck fast! I’ve been soaking it (as best I can) in WD40, hitting the stem with a mallet every now and then, but it still won’t budge!
I’m going to reattach bars and a spare front wheel later to see if I can lever it loose.

Should have been an easy bike strip and rebuild, but it’s proving a pain!

Back