1991 Claud Butler Antaeus 653

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":3f78e3nb said:
coomber":3f78e3nb said:
Page 3: The one bike you'll probably never own but would die for... your reply.. this bike!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=298010&p=2232009&hilit=Claud+Butler+Antaeus+653#p2232009

legrandefromage":3f78e3nb said:
A quite humble Claud Butler Antaeus 653 in man size - I know of two - one on the site and one near me but they are both teeny tiny.

Yup - unbelievable to find at a carboot sale.

Its in the shed now waiting till the summer
Not the MK Carboot?

Had mine since new in 1993, quite heavily discounted when I got it. Added Manitou2 forks and XTR Mechs at sale trading the XC400 (not very good early Zocchi's) and XT Mechs, i think the total bill was about £950 and still some £250 less than retail. Mine has later Z2 Atom Bomb forks, Control Tech Stem, FSA Orbit MX Aheadset, USE seatpost and Charge Saddle, apart from that it's as I got it, still relatively unfaded and gets ridden several times a year. Came to France with me last year and performed faultlessly.
Wouldn't call it teeny tiny but it's only the 18" frame (they did a smaller one).

Carl.

Re:

Mine I felt was over decaled so years ago in thinned them out to just claud butler and anteaus 653. But if you need hi res pics if them for recreation just shout.

Carl

Got mine out of the shed today (darker and dryer in there than garage), pumped tyres lubed cables and rode it around the village. It will get used at swinley over summer when I'm not on the 29er. Reminded me of this and wondered if there is any progress? Does yours still have the xc400 forks? Mine had a terrible kalloy silver seatpost that wouldn't stay put and the seat kept moving around so it got binned for the use post, I may see about fitting a flight saddle this year and see if with a more conditioned ass it doesn't feel like an enforced intrusion!

Carl

It is awaiting the attentions of a pillar drill to remove the aluminium cups of an XT bb

It was just about original, just missing a Wolber/ XT front wheel.

It still has the Venhill Racing bar ends and yes, the XC-400 forks

Re:

great to see this.

Claud Butler and British Eagle were so anachronistic in the 90's peddling lugged frames and old geometry when everyone else had gone via tigged steel to aluminium, they kept plugging away with these and made them in everything from gas pipe through 501 531 and this 631 must be near to top of the tree.

They must have been cheaper to stick together this way.

Re:

was8v":22oa8npq said:
great to see this.

Claud Butler and British Eagle were so anachronistic in the 90's peddling lugged frames and old geometry when everyone else had gone via tigged steel to aluminium, they kept plugging away with these and made them in everything from gas pipe through 501 531 and this 631 must be near to top of the tree.

They must have been cheaper to stick together this way.

You're right - Is it cool, isn't it :cool:

If anything it was the other way around though in terms of cost - building this frame would have been more expensive due to the hand brazing being more time consuming/expensive than the machine built, TIG welded stuff that dominated the market back then.

These were well built and finished bikes and I remember them very well being brought up in the area, but everybody at school wanted GT/Kona/Marin instead.

Out of interest how is this one coming along?

Back