1991 Rocky Mountain Nimbus

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
I don't usually troll the local ads much any more. Usually takes up too much time sort through and there are slim pickings. By chance I did a quick look yesterday and to my SURPRISE - WOW! low and behold, I couldn't believe my eyes! a UNICORN!!!

It was almost STOCK, only the tyres and saddle didn't look like they matched the catalogue. Frame and decals looked to be in great shape too. It wasn't a new listing either so was quite surprised it was still listed. Perhaps the slightly high price tag, though not unreasonable, but much more than I would have pegged it for as purchase for myself. Shot the seller a reply asking for more details, if any major issues with frame or parts, and if price was firm. Struck up a conversation, made a tentative offer and arranged to meet up today during my lunch. Was quite STOKED! If nothing else I would take photos to document the bike even if I didn't walk away with it.

Attachments

• DSC05423.JPG
    DSC05423.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,138
  • DSC05420.JPG
    DSC05420.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,134
  • DSC05419.JPG
    DSC05419.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • DSC05418.JPG
    DSC05418.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • DSC05422.JPG
    DSC05422.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,136
  • DSC05417.JPG
    DSC05417.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • DSC05428.JPG
    DSC05428.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DSC05416.JPG
    DSC05416.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 1,146
Checked it out, all looking GREAT! Then the last final crucial inspection for any issues… the dreaded seat collar! BAM, I was HEARTBROKEN! :cry: seller wasn't aware till i pointed it the most common issue with early RM aluminum frames. still made an offer on it which was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the original asking price, or even my offer and seller accepted. it was a bittersweet moment.

Attachments

• DSC05425.JPG
    DSC05425.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,129
Back in the day (and I mean the mid-late 80's) the one fantasy bike in my list was the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. 30 years later I've still never seen one in the flesh but I'd kill to have one in the shed. Steel frame with a radically sloping top tube, it still cuts it today.

IanS62":jfa1xe7k said:
Back in the day (and I mean the mid-late 80's) the one fantasy bike in my list was the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. 30 years later I've still never seen one in the flesh but I'd kill to have one in the shed. Steel frame with a radically sloping top tube, it still cuts it today.

that's a unicorn as well, but with luck and a lot of patience, i have one of those already in the corral from a few years back. ;)

Re:

Quite gutted to see that crack, of course. But I'm glad you saw it in-person, before driving away with the bike on your rack. That would've been an absolute shame to see if someone shipped it to you without knowing about it.

Following this one with interest. :D

i had asked the seller before hand if there were any major issues with the bike. but i didn't specifically ask about if the seat collar was cracked. i assumed something like that would have been obvious to note. sadly when i saw it and i pointed it out when i saw it in person, and mentioned it was a common failing point on the RM alum frames (Cirrus/Experience/Stratos), seller said i should have asked particularly about that to check. :roll: :LOL: ah well.

i'm mulling over stripping the parts and shifting them over to my 91 Altitude, as spec for spec they were identical for that year. but i'm still loving the red ano bits i've built it up already with. :? regardless, if i do decide to repair it, the parts need to come off anyway.

Re:

Great score! This is the first one here on RB? Can't recall any pics posted. Another one thatI thought only existed in the brochure!

Re: Re:

troje":2tssh5o7 said:
Great score! This is the first one here on RB? Can't recall any pics posted. Another one thatI thought only existed in the brochure!
there was one posted a few years back in the for sale section. it too was broken and was sold off for parts, but i think only the fork/stem was present.

Back